files from one computer to another

Old 03-30-08, 05:49 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

long story short, 40gig hd drive from old broken computer into another crappy one as slave. wife wants pictures from it. what i need to know is how can i get said files over into our new new computer? not too great on computers but want to try. do i connect wires from one to another so they share files?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-08, 06:09 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take the drive out of the old machine and install it into the new as a slave drive.

Old 03-30-08, 06:31 AM
K
You should be able to add the hard drive into your new computer as slave, and it will show up in My Computer. All you need to do is set the jumper on the drive to either Slave or CS. You should see the basic instructions on the hard drive's case. The jumpers are a set of pins next to the wide hookup cable, and there shuld be a little plastic thingie across two of the pins that may already be in the right place. But it might be set for Master so just pull it out and move it to where ever Slave or CS (Cable Select) is called for, which ever works.
You don't need to put the old drive in a bracket, unless you want to keep it in the new computer. Just rest it somewhere where the ribbon cable and power plug can reach it.

Old 03-30-08, 08:46 AM
K
shall give it a go but just seeing if another way thank for your reply ,im also going to put a 320g hd in new puter after getting files from old one ,will files stay on computer after i put them in file elsware . then install new hd ,this is an additin to hd that came with new one

Old 03-30-08, 09:08 AM
O
Originally Posted by kvn4 View Post
,will files stay on computer after i put them in file elsware . then install new hd ,this is an additin to hd that came with new one
Yes, they will still be where you copied them to.

Old 03-30-08, 11:14 AM
K
what about those usb sticks that hold memory 1g and if so how do you do it? Just a thought wife threw my way

Old 03-30-08, 11:32 AM
K
Sounds like you just want to connect the "crappy computer" temporarily to your new computer, which would probably be the easiest. Just connect them with a network (ethernet) cable and enable file sharing in one of the two. It's a sure bet the new box has a network port, not necessarily so for the old one--if there's a jack on the back that looks like a phone jack, only bigger, you got it.
The usb stick would be even easier, usually when you plug one of those in to a computer it just pops up on the desktop OR you see it as an additional drive in My Computer. Just open Windows Explorer and click around 'til you get to your pictures--right-click on a folder containing them, choose "Copy". Open the usb stick's window and choose "Paste". That's it in a nutshell.

Old 03-30-08, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by kenearl View Post
Sounds like you just want to connect the "crappy computer" temporarily to your new computer, which would probably be the easiest. Just connect them with a network (ethernet) cable and enable file sharing in one of the two. It's a sure bet the new box has a network port, not necessarily so for the old one--if there's a jack on the back that looks like a phone jack, only bigger, you got it.
The usb stick would be even easier, usually when you plug one of those in to a computer it just pops up on the desktop OR you see it as an additional drive in My Computer. Just open Windows Explorer and click around 'til you get to your pictures--right-click on a folder containing them, choose "Copy". Open the usb stick's window and choose "Paste". That's it in a nutshell.
best and easiest way is a router.

Old 03-30-08, 01:46 PM
K
AWSOME, I shall give it try when free time, wife only wants pictures that are important. THANK SO MUCH .PS I dont think she would have let me open new computer as I dont really want to break this one too lol thanks again K

Old 03-31-08, 07:24 AM
T
Internal drive becomes external

Networking with a router would work or just cabling them together, but there are lots of issues that can and will come up. Look at this option and see if it may work for you.

They make a case for these old hard drives that you can put the hard drive in and then connect it to the new computer with a usb cable and access it just like the usb stick. they cost about $30 and are easy to work with. You can buy them at the office supply store. Take your drive with you to the store to show them to make sure you get the right kind. If this won't work, you can return the external hard drive case and get your money back.

The new computer may have a newer technology hard drive (SATA) which would be tricky to hook up the old hard drive inside the case.

Old 03-31-08, 08:16 AM

Using a memory card/stick can be very easy and reliable. You may have to transfer the files is several batches. Considering the low price of the cards now, it is very viable and when you are done you will have a card you can use at your convenience in cameras or phones. - I just got a cell phone that uses a 1/4" square, thin, paper thin, micro card (4 gig?). It is a small card that fits into the phone or fits into a normal size card like a SD card (or a mini card) and can be used elsewhere.

If one of your computers does not have a card reader, you can get a cheap ($10-$20) reader that plugs into your USB port.

Do not CUT & PASTE the files. COPY them between the machines in batches, if necessary. After you are satisfied and are sure you have them copied and arranged you can do what ever you want with the old files on the old machine.

Old 03-31-08, 08:42 AM
O
I think most of you missed this part;
"40gig hd drive from old broken computer"

Old 04-01-08, 07:21 AM
T
tell us what we missed

This is same song 1024th verse for me. I do this all the time!

40gb now is installed in crappy computer #2 Assumption is that it is working and you can see the files on it. kvn4 says: "wife wants pictures from it" Assumption is that "it" is crappy computer #2 with two hard drives in it.

kvn4 clear up anything you need to please.

Didn't say this before, but kvn4 you should copy everything you want from Crappy #1 and Crappy #2 to move to the new computer to the 40gb drive that is the slave and then remove it from Crappy #2 and get the external USB case for $30 at Office depot. Install the 40gb drive in the external case much like you did in Crappy #2 but much easier. Plug the USB cable on the external case/w/harddrive to the new computer and Walla you should be able to copy the pictures from the 40gb to the new computer very easily. The drive should show up in My computer as a removable drive. Your wife will be very impressed.

PS: I used the term crappy #1 & #2 because you did! I thought it would be helpful to be very clear on what computer we were talking about.
PSS: I have several crappy computers around here too!

Old 04-01-08, 02:11 PM
K
I would not bother with any solution that depends on buying gadgets, configuring new devices on "broken old computer", or even reconfiguring the new machine. There is no computer #1 - it's history. We simply have a legacy hard drive with valuable files on it, plus a new machine that can read them, no more is needed.

Follow Kenearl's directions, they're good. You may find the new machine features a SATA (not older IDE) drive. The motherboard will have connectors to plug in old IDE drive ribbons in any case.

Some illustrations:
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading...hard-drive.htm

Old 04-01-08, 04:04 PM
K
By now, I'd hope the OP has it all taken care of, and is chuckling at us all getting our panties in a twist here
Hopefully he took the drive from Crappy #1, bypassing #2, to go straight into NIce New Computer. Why go through the trouble of moving the drive into #2? I can see it if there are compatibility issues with NNC, or opening the case is a major hassle, or it was a laptop.

Old 04-02-08, 02:43 AM
K
Hi everyone ,yes I did have a little chuckle as it reminds me when family has a talk. I havent gotten to it yet. I am going to do as kenearl suggests as it seems easiest. Going to need help from wife as she knows more stuff about these things and also so I dont put wrong things on new computer or delete ones she may find on the old one .I really apprieciate the help ,I will get back to yall after I do it so to let know how it came out. thanks again k

Old 04-02-08, 05:36 AM
T
Lots of options

Hey, I hope you get this figured out and it works for. You have lots of good options here to choose from.