Gateway GT5620 memory

Old 04-03-08, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gateway GT5620 memory

I have a Gateway 5620 desktop. It has 2Gb memory installed. The specs say expandable to 2GB memory and they also say that 2gb is the Maximum allowed memory. I have e-mailed Gateway support 4 times and I am getting the royal runaround. They keep telling me the memory is expandable to 2Gb max and telling me I cannot change the motherboard without causing problems.
Did I get taken when I bought this machine?
Is it noway possible to increase the memory? What limits the desktop to 2GB memory? I have been hearing that 2GB is the minimum to run Vista which of course is what this desktop has since I bought it in Feb. 08. My daughter is playing her Sims2 on it and having problems with it crashing.
Anyone that can tell me what limits the memory to 2GB?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-08, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The motherboard (chipsets) is what limits the memory. If the board specs say it's max is 2gb, then it's 2gb.

It's typical for companies like Gateway, HP, Dell, etc to have proprietary motherboard designs, so most likely, a aftermarket board will not fit into your gateway case. I learned this the hard way!

Vista has a limit of 3.5-4gb. If you get the 64-bit version of Vista or XP, it will recognize the full 4gb.

2gb ram is plenty. If your daughters pc is crashing, it's probably from the video card or a faulty RAM chip for starters.

Old 04-03-08, 08:45 PM
Is the Sims2 game designed for Vista? If not, you've probably found yet another glitch in that "wonderful" operating system.

See if there is an upgrade to Sims (or its drivers) that helps it run on Vista.

Also, shut down any other programs and task bar junk that may be running while she's playing. Many will constantly ping the 'net for upgrades or look for media files.

For that matter, if the Sims game doesn't require internet connectivity, disconnect from the 'net and shut off the modem, firewall, antivirus and other security apps -- but only while she's playing.

All of those apps should automatically start the next time you reboot. (You'll have to manually turn on the modem, though ...)

Old 04-03-08, 10:10 PM
Check out this site & see if your video card is up to snuffhttp://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/Conte...8200&semid=999

Old 04-04-08, 08:13 AM
I have gotten the updates for Vista. The internet and non-essintial extras are closed from the taskbar.
I checked the website. It says non T&L capable video cards need 2GHz processor, 256MB ram and 3.5 GB hard drive space in the note it gives (Intel Extreme Graphics) as an example. My video card is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 up to 224 MB shared video Ram. THe Chipset is Intel 945GC I have 2GB memory and a 320GB hard drive with 22o Gbfree space after Sims installed. The processor is Intel Pentium E2140 Each core operates at 1.6 GHz 1MB shared L2 Cache 800 MHz Front Side Bus.
I am not sure what T & L capable is or if the video card is the same as listed. But it looks like the processor may be a little slow 1.6 compared to 2.0 GHz If the card is T&L capable the processor needed is only 800 GHz.
Am I border line or not? It does not crash all the time only occasionally. If she sees it slowing down like it might be crashing she stops working with it and shuts it down. When it does crash it does not crash the whole desktop just the game shuts down and closes. But does not give time to save any progress. Has this info helped any on the problem?

Old 04-04-08, 08:59 AM
Those integrated intel video controllers are pretty much trash. If you want to do anything worthwhile, you might want to pick up an actual video card.

Old 04-04-08, 12:35 PM
According to Intel website the Sims2 is supposed to be compatible with the Intel 945 chipset. The desktop has a XPCI Express x16 slot. How do I determine what graphics card to install there? As I said before the Sims site says it needs 32 MB of video ram if the card is T & L capable. And the processor speed would be way over the 800 needed.

Old 04-04-08, 02:23 PM
Have you talked to the Co. where you purchased the PC

Old 04-04-08, 05:22 PM
I bought it at Best Buy. They say it is the game. I checked the Sims website again and they had a new patch. Downloaded it and so far no problems. (fingers crossed & knock on wood). Daughter will probably use it quite a bit this weekend so that should tell.
Thank you all for your help.