moving files from one computer to another??

Old 04-12-08, 10:50 AM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
moving files from one computer to another??

I have an e-machine with W98 and just purchased a refurbished Dell with W XP Pro. I can now get DSL through my phone co. What I need to do is move files, pics, e-mail folders, webshots etc. from my e-machine to my Dell. Is it cost savings for me to do it myself, me puter stupid. Or, have a local computer shop do it for me. I would need to buy the necessary hardware and software to do it and don't know what that would be or the cost. Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-12-08, 12:10 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
There are several ways to do this.
Copy files to CD, floppy disk or USB thumb drive. Then copy off onto new PC.
If you have an ethernet connection on both machines, connect both computers together using a crossover network cable and share the drives. Then just copy all the files you need. This is the one I use.
Upload the files to a file sharing drive on the internet and download again onto new PC.
Remove hard drive from original PC. Install in new PC. Copy files and put hard drive back in old machine or leave in new machine if old machine being junked.

Old 04-13-08, 09:12 AM
S
ok, I'm going to junk my old puter. So, how do I remove the hard drive and install it into my new one? I've never done this before. And, leaving it in my new one, will that give me more memory, what are the benefits to leaving it in my new computer?

Old 04-13-08, 09:23 AM
S
Also, how do I install it into my new puter and get it to operate? Anything need wiring?

Old 04-13-08, 12:28 PM
J
The power cable is connected to the power supply so you won't need that.
You might need the data cable. The one in the old computer should work.
Take the covers off remove the four screw from the side holding in the drive. Disconnect the cables and remove.

Reverse process in new computer. Computer should detect new drive when it powers up. it will look like D:, E: or F: drive in explorer depending on how many drives you already have. Your CD drive might go up in letter as well.

Old 04-23-08, 01:27 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Joed,

He might also need to verify if his new PC is IDE or SATA and if IDE, is it a single or a double hard drive setup. I currently have 2 Dells at home - the small format one is a single hard drive setup while the mini-tower is a double hard drive setup.

Also, there is the master/slave/CS jumpering problem to consider. It is pretty simple, but if he isn't comforable messing with electricals/electronics, then he may be safer farming it out to a tech or a tech savvy friend.

It's been a while, but I DID manage to fry a few pieces of equipment along the way!

Old 04-24-08, 06:39 PM
C
Saddlebum dont farm it out. It is ridiculously easy to do even for the nontech.

Open up your old computer and look at the connections. One will be a 4 pin mulit-colored connector and the other a ribbon cable (named for the looks, hehe). Disconnect the cables. (the power sometimes takes some muscle)

Now remove the screws and then remount in the new machine. Attach the power (4 pin) connector and the ribbon cable in the new one.

Keep in mind there are 2 devices that can be attached to these ribbon cables. CD drives, hard drives, etc. The device at the end of the cable is the master and the one in the middle is the slave. You want your drive located in the middle of the cable. You should have 2 cables and you can hook it up to either.

Once it is connected boot it up. If you try to boot and you get and error. Disconnect the cables and reboot and post back and I will walk you through changing the jumper settings so it will work but by default they should be on cable select which means to just put them in the right location on the ribbon cable and your set.

Old 04-24-08, 06:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It probably won't work as easy as swapping it into the new machine. The old hardrive has the hardware configuration files for the old computer and is not configured with the new. You can try, but you will get errors.

Old 04-25-08, 07:59 AM
J
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
It probably won't work as easy as swapping it into the new machine. The old hardrive has the hardware configuration files for the old computer and is not configured with the new. You can try, but you will get errors.

You make it a slave drive and not the boot drive that doesn't matter.

Old 04-25-08, 08:00 AM
Go external

HotinOKC: I don't think anyone was suggesting that the user swap this drive with their current C: drive in the Dell. That would be problematic as you suggested. I think folks were saying to bring over the emachine drive as D: and get the data that way.

Saddlebum: I would recommend an inexpensive USB 2.0 enclosure. You won't have to open your Dell and figure out where to connect/mount the emachine drive. You can simply extract the drive from the emachine and plop it into the enclosure and hook it up via USB. Then you can roam/search the drive to find everything worth copying over to your Dell. After that you can reformat the drive and use your new external setup for backing up your data.

froogle up "3.5" IDE USB 2.0 Enclosure". I sorted by price low-to-high and filtered sellers by 3 stars or better; had a dozen options for under $15.

Old 04-25-08, 11:31 AM
C
Originally Posted by digitalvoid
HotinOKC: I don't think anyone was suggesting that the user swap this drive with their current C: drive in the Dell. That would be problematic as you suggested. I think folks were saying to bring over the emachine drive as D: and get the data that way.

Saddlebum: I would recommend an inexpensive USB 2.0 enclosure. You won't have to open your Dell and figure out where to connect/mount the emachine drive. You can simply extract the drive from the emachine and plop it into the enclosure and hook it up via USB. Then you can roam/search the drive to find everything worth copying over to your Dell. After that you can reformat the drive and use your new external setup for backing up your data.

froogle up "3.5" IDE USB 2.0 Enclosure". I sorted by price low-to-high and filtered sellers by 3 stars or better; had a dozen options for under $15.
If you have the time and money to do this the is an excellent idea and easier than slaving a drive for sure.

Great response...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: