Need Recovery Help Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-08, 07:50 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Recovery Help Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

My computer died. The p/s and mother board are dead. I was able to remove the hard drive and hook it up as the slave in my sons computer. I was running winXP. I was the administrator and my wife was one of the users. Here is my problem. I was able to get the files of hers under her documents folder open and copied to a cd. I tried to open the My documents folder that was under my user and it won't let me. Says I don't have access. Even if I am logged onto my sons computer, which is where the hard drive is now, as the administrator.

How can I get to these files and get them open so that I can save them to a cd. I really need some of this stuff. I am guessing that it has something to do the the administrator and password or something like that. I really appreciate any help you can give me in getting to these files. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-08, 12:40 AM
J
See if you can copy & paste them to a new folder in your sons HDD.
Go to start-search-files & folders--type in My documents &
see if you can access them from there.

Here is a Micrsoft help file you could check
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308421

Old 04-13-08, 06:38 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A little tough to copy-paste if you can't get to them in the first place.

Old 04-13-08, 08:47 AM
T
Change Permissions

You might be able to right click on the folder you are trying to get to and go to properties and then security. As the administrator, you should be able to add your account (administrator) to the folder and give yourself full control.

If this does not work, you may try adding the account you had on the old computer to the one where the drive is and use the same name and password. Log on as this account and try to access the folder.

Old 04-13-08, 02:05 PM
T
The problem here is that you're dealing with encrypted files. You must have at some point checked "make files private" on your profile, thus encrypting them. The best way to get the files back is to put your drive back in the pc it came out of and remove the encryption, but in your case that is not possible. Are you sure the motherboard is toast on the old pc?? Maybe it's just the power supply, or it could even be the memory or something. Like I said, that would be your best option to get the data back.

I did see a program that might be able to recover the files for you, it even has a trial program so you can see if it's going to work before you buy it.

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywi...ypted-data.htm

If that doesn't work and you can't get the old pc working, you may have to just "try" some things hoping it'll work, or you'll just have to let the data go. Let me know if none of these ideas work and I'll give you my other thoughts.

Old 04-13-08, 03:14 PM
K
Thanks, all good now

I tried the method that 1 Howard gave me first and it worked like a champ. Thanks a ton. THanks to everyone else also but I had used 1 Howard's when he first put it up. Thanks anyway. I have another post about how to retreave email addresses off of the old hard drive also if any of you want to take a shot and saving me on that one too. Thanks

ken

Old 04-14-08, 07:38 AM
T
Location of email

If your email is an Outlook .pst file, it most likely was stored in the profile under some hidden folders. You might have to unhide folders and then recopy from the old hard disk like 1Howard told you to do. To unhide, open a folder and then go to this menu path: Tools>Folder Options>View and click the option "Show Hidden Files and Folders". The location of the email file is: \Documents and Settings\profilename\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. You will see the .pst files here. Copy them to the new location.

In Outlook you can open this file by clicking File>Open>Outlook Data File and then browse to this file. You can merge the email to the new pst by just dragging from the old inbox to the new inbox and repeat for all folders.

If you were using some other program for email on the old system, then post which one you were using and someone can tell you how to get at that old email. Outlook has an import feature too.

If you were using Outlook and you want to restore the email addresses that popped up as you typed in the To: line, it is located here: c:\Documents and Settings\profilename\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and has an extension of NK2. You will need to overwrite one that has been created by your new profile. In other words, rename the NK2 file in that folder and copy the one from the old machine and give it the name of the one you just renamed!