Installed Ad-Aware on new puter but where?

Old 04-14-08, 07:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installed Ad-Aware on new puter but where?

I just got this refurbished Dell computer and I downloaded Ad-Aware but it didn't put it where I can get it to run. It is in C:\drivers\Ian and I don't know how I got it there or what to do now. Please be basic as I am puter stupid. I also have a problem with Active X. There is a prompt everytime I move from web site to web site and I am unable to download Flash Player. Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-08, 03:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Ad Aware probably downloaded as a zip file. Do you have Winzip? You can go to start, search, all files and folders, type in Ad Aware and search. It will list the folders where this file is located. As far as ActiveX what browser are you using, IE7 or Firefox, etc.?

Old 04-15-08, 08:08 AM
J
Can you talk to Dell--if you can w/out $$$
See what they have to say--they built the machine didn't
they?

Old 04-15-08, 02:10 PM
S
I'm using IE7, Windows XP Pro. That Active X and Plug-in box comes up sometimes 2-3 times when I've moved to a new page - bothersome. I was going to try to download Webshots and saw that my puter wanted to put it in the same driver file Ian as ad-aware where it may not run without me asking specifically for it to run so I thought I would check here and see what you folks had for me. I'm used to the webshots running on its own.

Old 04-16-08, 04:01 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Go to the C:\drivers\Ian folder and double-click on the AdAware file you downloaded. (The filename should be something like "aawN.exe" -- the N will be the version number.) It should automatically install. After it's finished its icon will be both in your Start/Programs menu and on your desktop.

You should be able to do the same thing with Webshots.

As for the Active X ... what is the prompt asking?

Old 04-16-08, 06:06 PM
S
Good news about the ad-aware and webshots. Thank you! OK, everytime I switch from one page to another, a box appears that says "Do you want to run software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run? Yes or No?"; ah, very annoying.

Old 04-17-08, 04:19 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The Active X box is your computer asking you if you want to run possibly malicious code. ActiveX is one of the ways hackers can get control of your machine.

You can change the setting in IE's Tools/Internet Options/Security/CustomLevel area. Scroll down until you see a checkbox about running unsigned ActiveX. Check "Disable". If the box continues to show, go back to the same area and check "Enable" under "Signed ActiveX."

You should also have a good security suite in place (Firewall, Anti-Virus, Spyware blocker, Popup blocker, etc.) to prevent any malicious code from running.