DVD/CD players on computer won't work

Old 04-16-08, 05:42 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question DVD/CD players on computer won't work

I took my computer to Best Buy (big mistake!) and had 2 new dvd/cd players installed. 5 people worked on my computer and each did something different...I had all sorts of problems trying to get other programs to work properly when I got the computer back. About a month later, BOTH dvd/cd players stopped working. Everytime I try to put in a cd or dvd, my computer stalls or crashes. I DO NOT want to take it back to Best Buy. Does anyone have a clue as to what my problem may be? Could it be a driver or software problem? I'm not very good with computers but would be willing to try anything to get them working again.

Thanks!

Velvet

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-08, 06:57 AM
I'm assuming your using windows XP. Go to Start>Control Panel>Admin Tools>Event Viewer. Going there you can see what errors have accured on your PC. If your PC was running "Sluggish" Sounds like a driver issue to me. Would also help knowing what OS your using and your computer specs would also be helpful.

Old 04-16-08, 07:06 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have one of the B.B. tune-up CDs that they use on every PC that comes in. You wouldn't believe what they do to your machine. I've seen problems like you have before, and the only way to get rid of them was to format and reinstall. Sorry, that may not be what you wanted to be told.

Old 04-16-08, 07:37 AM
V
dvd/cd

When I went to Event Viewer - it said - "failed to create empty document" I got the same message when I went to my "device manager" and that has never happened before....

I am using XP..Media Center 2002..I had an update but BB removed it ....My computer is a Pentium 4 SONY, 1 GB ram, 160 HD with also 160 External HD for my pics, videos and music. (not sure what else you might need..what are "computer specs"... )

When checking it says that the devices are working properly...and it tells me that I have the most current drivers for the players.

I have tried defragging.

I have Roxio 8 and Kodak (for my camera) software installed which I've been told could cause conflicts but have no clue what to do about that...Roxio used to work really well for creating dvds and cds.

I also have SPYSWEEPER and Trend Micro Antivirus.

I have AOL installed which is a pain and doesn't work properly but I can't uninstall and reinstall because I can't put a disc in the players!

I have allowed all updates from Windows...

If it is a software conflict I have no idea or the experience to correct it

Geeze...and I thought computers were supposed to be "user friendly"...Yeah right!

Originally Posted by Wreck View Post
I'm assuming your using windows XP. Go to Start>Control Panel>Admin Tools>Event Viewer. Going there you can see what errors have accured on your PC. If your PC was running "Sluggish" Sounds like a driver issue to me. Would also help knowing what OS your using and your computer specs would also be helpful.

Old 04-16-08, 07:45 AM
V
dvd/cd

Oh but I do believe you! I'm living the nightmare...and to think that I PAID for a service contract only to have them make matters worse

When I called them, they said if it was a software conflict I would have to PAY to have them take care of it...Yet it appears they are the ones to have caused the problem! I called the main Customer Service that handles the contract and they told me the same thing..and would not refund my money (300.00) that I paid for the contract.

I've paid for the Geek Squad to come to my home...and then the guys at the store were trying to charge me to remove Norton's which I had already paid the GS to do..Then they said it was their mistake and that a file from Norton's had NOT been removed by the GS....Still no refund or solution to my problem!

Lies and more lies...I wish I had recorded all of the different conversations I had with those guys...including the Manager of the local store. I don't trust them!

I guess at this point there isn't much I can do but TRY to find someone I can trust to try and help me get things working properly again...

OR buy a new computer with just the basics and learn how to do things myself

Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
I have one of the B.B. tune-up CDs that they use on every PC that comes in. You wouldn't believe what they do to your machine. I've seen problems like you have before, and the only way to get rid of them was to format and reinstall. Sorry, that may not be what you wanted to be told.

Old 04-16-08, 10:43 AM
C
Device problems that seem to develop suddenly often can be attributed to corrupted .dll files. So checking the integrity of these files is the first thing to do. Click Start, Run, enter cmd where it says Open, press Enter. When the terminal window opens, type SFC /SCANNOW, press Enter. This allows Windows to check its essential files. It may take 20 minutes to run. If a dialogue box opens asking for your Windows XP installation disk, insert it, then click Retry. This process should clear up the fundamentals as a source of the trouble.

Having more than one anti-virus program can cause problems. If Roxio runs poorly, reinstall it. Norton is a poor excuse for anti-virus because of its size. It has been notoriously hard to remove. Try the removal tool included in it, by removing it through the Windows Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-08, 12:33 PM
V
dvd/cd

Thanks Chris, I'll give that a try..However my computer DID NOT come with an individual discs...Sony just had them on the computer but did not supply me with any discs For some reason that is just the way they sold the computer at that time...It is about 4 years old now... Hopefully it won't ask for my Windows XP disc.

I might not get a chance to do this for a couple of days but I will get back to you

Supposedly Norton's is now completely off my computer...so says Best Buy!

Thanks again

Originally Posted by chfite View Post
Device problems that seem to develop suddenly often can be attributed to corrupted .dll files. So checking the integrity of these files is the first thing to do. Click Start, Run, enter cmd where it says Open, press Enter. When the terminal window opens, type SFC /SCANNOW, press Enter. This allows Windows to check its essential files. It may take 20 minutes to run. If a dialogue box opens asking for your Windows XP installation disk, insert it, then click Retry. This process should clear up the fundamentals as a source of the trouble.

Having more than one anti-virus program can cause problems. If Roxio runs poorly, reinstall it. Norton is a poor excuse for anti-virus because of its size. It has been notoriously hard to remove. Try the removal tool included in it, by removing it through the Windows Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-08, 02:42 PM
J
Go to Device manager
Left click + [email protected] IDE ATA/API CONTROL
Dbl click:PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL
Dbl click:ADVANCED SETTINGS
Device O & 1 must read DMA if available-NOT PIO
Click OK
Dbl click:SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL
Device O & 1 must read DMA mode 2-not PIO
Click OK-close
If this does not work-REFORMAT
ps: If this is a Vaio PC-you should have made a Vaio Recovery Media Kit when you opened PC
Good Luck.......................

Old 04-16-08, 06:11 PM
C
You can get installation disks from the manufacturer for less than $35 usually.

Old 04-19-08, 06:09 AM
V
dvd/cd (device manager)

Hi Howard,

I did as you instructed and these were the results...When you say REFORMAT what exactly does that mean??? I don't know how to "fix" anything on this computer...I've always had someone else work on it for me...Do the settings below mean that I have a real problem and that Best Buy really did mess up my computer when installing these new drives?

PRIMARY -
DEVICE - 0 -
DEVICE TYPE - greyed out
TRANS MODE - DMA if Available
CURRENT TRANS MODE - Ultra DMA Mode 5

DEVICE - 1 -
DEVICE TYPE - Auto Detection
CURRENT TRANS MODE - Not Applicable

SECONDARY
DEVICE - 0 -
DEVICE TYPE - greyed out
CURRENT TRANS MODE - Ultra DMA Mode 4

DEVICE - 1 -
DEVICE TYPE - greyed out
CURRENT TRANS MODE - Ultra DMA Mode 2

thanks!

Velvet

Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
Go to Device manager
Left click + [email protected] IDE ATA/API CONTROL
Dbl click:PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL
Dbl click:ADVANCED SETTINGS
Device O & 1 must read DMA if available-NOT PIO
Click OK
Dbl click:SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL
Device O & 1 must read DMA mode 2-not PIO
Click OK-close
If this does not work-REFORMAT
ps: If this is a Vaio PC-you should have made a Vaio Recovery Media Kit when you opened PC
Good Luck.......................

Old 04-19-08, 06:15 AM
V
dvd/cd player

Hi Chris..I may have the discs around here someplace but will they really do me any good? The computer was purchased in 2003..and with all the available updates that would have to be added I think I would have a bigger mess than I do now...

I've heard that Best Buy sometimes puts in refurbished units when they are doing something that is under contract so I'm wondering if they installed used players instead of new ones...

Would it help if I tried to uninstall the current drivers and try to see if there are updated ones?
The current driver date for these is 7/1/2001 which is even before I purchased the computer!

I'm soooo confused

Velvet

Originally Posted by chfite View Post
You can get installation disks from the manufacturer for less than $35 usually.

Old 04-19-08, 06:47 AM
V
dvd/cd

Howard (or anyone else that may know ) I found this additional information under the Device Manager...I'm not sure if this will help.
Is the information listed the way it SHOULD be?

Sorry to be such a pest but I really miss not having my dvd/cd players

Velvet

Additional information under Device Manager - DVD/CD ROM drives

Unit installed :
HP DVD WRITER 1040d

Location - 0 -
Device usage - (USE THIS DEVICE - ENABLE)
under VOLUMES - no information listed

Unit installed :
TSST CORP cd/dvdw SH - S182M

Location - 1 -
Device usage - (USE THIS DEVICE - ENABLE)
under VOLUMES - no information listed

Old 04-19-08, 08:11 AM
J
Is this a VAIO Computer?????????????????????????
I didn't see any problem there...........
Go to Start-all programs--see if you find a program called" vaio recovery wizard "
or " recovery wizard ".
If you find any of these programs--follow instructions to return your computer to
original state--you will lose all programs on computer & all files. It wipes your PC clean.
Since Best Buy worked on your PC there may not be an original state???

Last edited by j HOWARD; 04-19-08 at 08:40 AM.