Win XP Folder Attributes

Old 04-20-08, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Win XP Folder Attributes

Windows folder come loaded with stock attributes. Such as, a folder customized for photos comes with these atrributes (when you open the folder):
Name, size, type, date picture taken, dimensions, etc.

If you right click the attributes in the folder, it allows you to change which attributes are displayed.

My question is, can you create your own attributes, or rename existing ones? A google search has come up with plenty of programs to change attributes on the fly, but they all use the preloaded ones. Is it possible to rename the stock ones, or add your own custom attributes?

TIA for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-08, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some attributes could be changed, like the name or date, but most attributes you would not want to alter, even if you could. For example, you could change the attribute "jpeg" to some other attribute, but then how would your machine know what to use to open it.? Some attributes, are "read only" and those cannot be altered. (Saving you from yourself! )

Connie

Old 04-20-08, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. After a bit more research, I found out these aren't called attributes, but Column Handlers. This article explains more about them. It also showed me that trying to add my own was way above my head.

Old 04-21-08, 04:29 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Connie, that's not what was being asked.

Windows won't do it. When you change what info the folders show, it affects ALL folders. OS/2 was able to do what you want, but that OS is dead now.