Deleted User account from WinXP question???

Old 04-20-08, 09:56 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Deleted User account from WinXP question???

I bought a used computer. It is running WinXP Home Edition.
There was one user account, lets call it “user A” for sake of this question. Well I created a new user account lets call this one “User Me” and made it an administrator account as well. Then I deleted the “User A” account.

My question is this. The User A account files are still there when I open ms explore from the start button. Now when the login screen is up User A is no longer listed. Just User Me and my wifes user account which is a limited account. Can I just delete the User A files under the Documents and Settings folder or with that be a problem. To note, the account that I made for myself User Me does not show up under Documents and Setting folder. It does show on log in screen though and when I log on it is as User Me.

The only place I see any reference to the User Me account under explore is on C: drive there is a folder for User A’s documents.

If I get onto the internet with MS Internet Explorer and I save a site to favorites it stores it in the Favorites fold under User A’s files.

I know this all sounds very confusing at least to me but maybe you that are way more knowledgeable on this issue with be able to help.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-08, 12:37 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmeyer301
I bought a used computer. It is running WinXP Home Edition.
There was one user account, lets call it “user A” for sake of this question. Well I created a new user account lets call this one “User Me” and made it an administrator account as well. Then I deleted the “User A” account.

My question is this. The User A account files are still there when I open ms explore from the start button. Now when the login screen is up User A is no longer listed. Just User Me and my wifes user account which is a limited account. Can I just delete the User A files under the Documents and Settings folder or with that be a problem. To note, the account that I made for myself User Me does not show up under Documents and Setting folder. It does show on log in screen though and when I log on it is as User Me.

The only place I see any reference to the User Me account under explore is on C: drive there is a folder for User A’s documents.

If I get onto the internet with MS Internet Explorer and I save a site to favorites it stores it in the Favorites fold under User A’s files.

I know this all sounds very confusing at least to me but maybe you that are way more knowledgeable on this issue with be able to help.

Thanks.
Go to start -> run and type cmd
the command line window will show up.
It will give you the default path of the user account profile you are currently logged in with.

example:
in windows XP - c:\documents and settings\%username%
in Windows Vista - c:\users\%username%

That will be your profile path. If that isnt "user A" for you or anyone else that logs into the computer then you can safely delete it from the documents and settings directory. I imagine if you dont see "user me" you are the "administrator" or "owner" within documents and settings.

As a follow up I would also run disk cleanup and then disk defrag afterwords if you are trying to get rid of data.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: