UPS Questions?

Old 04-20-08, 06:42 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UPS Questions?

I am in the process of converting to Voip and i want to get a battery backup so my phones will still work in power outage. I am going to have 2 cable modems and a Linksys wireless router. My question is i want something that will give me minimum 6 hours so how large of a ups do i need how many watts?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-08, 10:07 PM
J
Don't you think it might be a good idea to talk to your
internet phone supplier??????????????????????????????????

Old 04-21-08, 04:25 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It all depends on how wide the power outage is. If most of your area is affected, chances are you won't have service anyway. That's the major reason I stayed with a landline.

Old 04-21-08, 05:26 AM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
What is the power consumption of the devices you need to put on the UPS? The more power you use the shorter the time.

Old 04-21-08, 09:20 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
When I had cable Internet service the Internet service (and television) went out about two hours after the power went out.

Why will you be having two cable modems?

Old 04-22-08, 02:49 PM
R
I will have 2 cable modems because i have voip and i will have it on 3 phone lines eachh modem can only handle 2. I am looking for a ups that will run 2 cable modems and a wireless router. from a basic UPS i am hoping to get at least 4 hours. How big of a UPS do i need? I spoke with cable company and they told me that in a power outage if i have a battery backup there is no reason why i should lose my phone or internet.

Old 04-22-08, 02:54 PM
J
Originally Posted by joed View Post
What is the power consumption of the devices you need to put on the UPS? The more power you use the shorter the time.

Post the answers to above question and we can guide you.

Old 04-22-08, 03:24 PM
R
I called motorola and they told me that each cable modem uses about 9 watts and i am assuming the router must be using something in the same neighborhood

Old 04-22-08, 05:53 PM
J
Let's round it off to 30 watts then. Using the UPS selector at this site and a miscellaneous 30 watt device you need a 1500 VA unit.

http://www.apcc.com/template/size/apc/rslr/index.cfm

Old 04-22-08, 08:41 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Rschrei518 View Post
I will have 2 cable modems because i have voip and i will have it on 3 phone lines eachh modem can only handle 2.
That doesn't make much sense to me.

Since each cable modem will require a separate account it means that you will have TWO ISP bills to pay each month and yet probably not come close to fully utilizing even one.

IF you have a top-notch cable connection you should be able to run six VoIP lines from one modem with no problem. You would need multi-line VoIP adapters and probably a router but only one modem.

Now that is a mighty big IF; when I had cable Internet service my QoS (Quality of Service) was mighty poor and could barely give me semi-satisfactory VoIP service on one line. You might want to check your connection by using this site.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/voip/

If you do not consistently have better than 85% QoS you WILL have trouble utilizing VoIP.
I spoke with cable company and they told me that in a power outage if i have a battery backup there is no reason why i should lose my phone or internet.
That depends entirely on how widespread the power outage is. Cable companies use repeaters and amplifiers to boost their signals and if there is a repeater or amplifier between the connection to the ISP and your home that is also without power you WILL lose your Internet service after the UPS at the repeater/amplifier runs out of power.