Problems with optical mouse

Old 04-23-08, 09:51 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Problems with optical mouse

Hi,

I have a wireless optical mouse and at times it doesn't operate well. I am not sure it it is due to the mouse pad or not. When I move the mouse, the pointer on the monitor doesn't move or moves very sketishly. I use rechargeable batteries and no matter whether the batteries are fully charged or not, the mouse operates the same. My mouse pad is made of a hard plastic and as a wrist cushion towards the bottom. I wiped it with a dust cloth to make sure that there wasn't dirt on the pad that would cause a problem. Any one have any insight??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-08, 03:53 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you tried something with a bit of texture instead of the mouse pad? A piece of printer paper should tell you if it's the pad causing the problem.

Old 04-24-08, 04:40 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You don't need a mouse pad with an optical.
Maybe it's just a cheap mouse and that's all it will do.
I tried 3 different wireless types. Went back to a corded model.

Old 04-24-08, 06:18 PM
C
The wireless mouse should work fine.....I have used one for years and have with several various models.

Your problem is likely one of 2 things. Poor placement of the receiver. To rule that out....move the mouse closer to the receiver.

Like the other poster noted it could also be your surface. The optical and laser mouse are susceptible to reflection. Make sure the surface isnt glossy or transparent. Use a sheet of paper folded in half on your mousepad to rule this out.

edit: I doubt its the cheapness of the mouse but likely the surface.

Old 04-24-08, 07:06 PM
T
It could also be a defective mouse. If it's worked fine for a while and just started doing this, it may just be bad. I've had wireless mice crap out before. But I'm with the other guys, it's probably just the surface.

Old 04-25-08, 04:03 AM
R
I've had wireless mice crap out before.
Yeah, they leave little wireless pellets on the mouse pad.

Another possible cause: New hardware you've installed that requires a com or USB connection could be interfering with the mouse. This happens on my laptop when I use the com port to connect to one of our installed systems. The interface causes the cursor to jump or hesitate.

Old 04-26-08, 05:25 PM
S
Talking

I found the problem to be the mouse pad. The plastic mose pad that i was using was textured, but looking at it more closely, the middle section has worn down to where there is no more texture and it is just smooth. On the outer edges, there is still texture and the mouse works fine over those areas. it just has problems oing over the smooth area. Thanks for the replies!

sweetboy

Old 04-26-08, 05:40 PM
nap
with my optical mouse, I simply use a sheet of white paper for a pad. If it becomes worn, dirty or torn, a replacement is pretty cheap.

It has worked better than any mouse pad I have ever bought.

Old 04-26-08, 07:24 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
To chcbearsfan, I have run the gamut on mice as well, and have bought cheap ones to find they eat batteries faster than my dogs eat supper. They are sporadic with movement and accept any interference from other usb items. I finally went back to a Microsoft Wireless Notebook 6000 mouse and it is superb, uses only one battery, and has lasted for at least 60 days so far. I can also use my bluetooth receiver in the adjacent usb port without problems.

Old 04-27-08, 06:02 AM
C
To chandler,

I understand that. I think that if someone posts in the forum they are having issues then aiding in the troubleshooting is best and not blame a cheap mouse. If the receiver is close, the batteries good and the surface condusive to optical/laser mouse then I would ask the questions about quality.

As you can see the problem wasnt the cheap mouse but the surface that was being used.

Old 04-27-08, 07:35 AM
O
Originally Posted by chcbearsfan View Post
not blame a cheap mouse

As you can see the problem wasnt the cheap mouse but the surface that was being used.
As chandler stated,
"I have run the gamut on mice as well, and have bought cheap ones to find they eat batteries faster than my dogs eat supper. They are sporadic with movement and accept any interference from other usb items."

Any optical mouse will work over a textured, or smooth surface, unless it has a ball in it. sweetboy has not stated if the mouse has one or not. No matter what the surface, a cheap mouse isn't worth the problems.

Old 04-27-08, 02:29 PM
R
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
Any optical mouse will work over a textured, or smooth surface, unless it has a ball in it. sweetboy has not stated if the mouse has one or not.
I've never seen an optical mouse with a ball in it. Aren't they mutually exclusive?

None of my optical mice worked with any reliability on my glass dining table. Nor did they work well with an airbrushed-looking pad with multi-colored rectangles on it. It seemed to have a problem tracking the different colors.

Old 04-27-08, 04:37 PM
O
The early optical mice did have a ball. It turned 2 slotted wheels inside that cut the light beam between leds and the pickups. Basically, they were the same as the original mice, but were called optical because that was an "In" thing to have.

Old 04-27-08, 05:09 PM
S
Talking

My optical mouse does not have a ball in it and the maker is Micro Innovations. It works well, just not on smooth surfaces.

sweetboy

Old 04-27-08, 05:20 PM
I'm curious to see this opticle mouse with a ball. Even the first opticle mice created in the 80's didn't use a ball.....

Old 04-27-08, 07:42 PM
T
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
I'm curious to see this opticle mouse with a ball. Even the first opticle mice created in the 80's didn't use a ball.....

Not to add fuel to this fire, but incase you'd like to see an optical ball mouse, go buy any modern trackball and you'll see one.

Old 04-27-08, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Optical and laser...diff designs/terms...marketed the same. I remember some marked as optical..but they just used LED's and wheels instead of pots inside. I always figured if it didn't shine some sort of light/beam on the surface under it, it was just a modification of a mechanical mouse.

BTW Logitech cordless laser mouse and keyboard here, rf connection. Been on the same batteries for over 6 months, and ya'll should know how much I use 'em.

Hope ya had a great weekend.

Old 04-28-08, 03:06 AM
R
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
The early optical mice did have a ball. It turned 2 slotted wheels inside that cut the light beam between leds and the pickups.
I remember those! One of the guys I worked with had one and loved to show it off. Geez, that had to be 20 years ago.

Old 04-28-08, 10:10 AM
optomechanical mouse

A lot of mice (pre "optical") were optomechanical. They did the ball with slotted wheels and LEDs and such.

They weren't marketed as "optical" mice though. That designation explicitly meant there was no ball and instead there is a small "camera" of sorts which observed the illuminated surface below the mouse moving about relative to the mouses orientation.