External Hard Drive, XP & Vista

Old 04-24-08, 07:32 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
External Hard Drive, XP & Vista

Hi All,

This is kind of a dumb question, but in view of the fact that so many of us seem to be having problems recovering data from a problematic hard drive, does the format type of an external USB Hard Drive make a difference (that is - NTFS vs the older system) in recovering data transferred to that External Hard Drive?

Also, will there be a problem later on in recovering data transferred to that USB External Hard Drive using Windows XP when I switch over to Windows Vista?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-08, 06:13 PM
C
Originally Posted by aramis7350 View Post
Hi All,

This is kind of a dumb question, but in view of the fact that so many of us seem to be having problems recovering data from a problematic hard drive, does the format type of an external USB Hard Drive make a difference (that is - NTFS vs the older system) in recovering data transferred to that External Hard Drive?

Also, will there be a problem later on in recovering data transferred to that USB External Hard Drive using Windows XP when I switch over to Windows Vista?

Thanks
No

As long as your not trying to transfer a file larger than 4GB FAT32 will work. NTFS is obvious choice since that is the native windows OS for XP and beyond. (I would use NTFS) But both Vista and XP will read both file systems.

If the drive was shipped with a FAT file system then simply access the command line and type the following to convert it to ntfs:

convert e: /fs:ntfs

note: this is if your target drive is drive E under my computer.

If you use this on a mac or unix based system then it matters very much. For the sake of my answer I am assuming your not.

Old 04-24-08, 07:09 PM
T
Or right click on the drive in "my computer" and format the driving (so long as there is nothing on it) in NTFS.

Old 04-25-08, 04:26 AM
A
Thanks Guys,

I had already done it in the way that Toofer suggested but then I started having second thoughts about compatibility and accessibility issues.

Old 04-25-08, 11:51 AM
C
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
Or right click on the drive in "my computer" and format the driving (so long as there is nothing on it) in NTFS.

Yep that works too

I get in the habit of doing these things in command line for whatever reason.