One more time - how to retrieve files

Old 04-25-08, 05:16 AM
One more time - how to retrieve files

Ok Guys,

I had posted before about a continuing problem with my old Emachine which made me change hard drives, memory and then finally trash the PC because I surmised that the problem was a bad motherboard/IDE connector. Anyway, I finally completed the refurbishing of a Dell Optiplex and everything is now fine.

So I decided to try to recover some music I had stored on one of the swapped out hard drives. It's a 40 Gig hard drive with about 25 or 30 Gigs of music, photos and videos on it. The OS (XP) was corrupted by the old motherboard.

Here is where I ran into a problem. When I try to open the folder where I think my files are stored, I get a message that it's empty. When I check 'Properties', I can see that I have 39 or so Gigs of stored material, but when I do a folder by folder check, I come up short by about the amount of my videos, music and photo files. They seem to be hidden.

So how do I find them, and then how do I retrieve them?
I think I may have seen a procedure described on here but it may have been part of a thread or it might even have been on a different website. I'm not sure at this point.

p.s. - I think that a procedure such as this would be a great addition to the standard procedures that are listed at the head of this section.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-08, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 16
If it's a hidden file problem, open Windows Explorer. Click Tools, Folder Options, and the "View" tab. Under "Hidden files and Folders", check to see if "Show hidden files and folders" is checked.

Old 04-25-08, 07:32 AM
If the folder was marked as private, or it was stored somewhere in my documents and your profile was made private, then it's pretty much gone. When you mark a profile private, it encrypts all the files, so when you go to view them on another computer, they just don't show up.

That's kinda what backups are for....

Old 04-25-08, 07:56 AM
Upvotes Received: 47
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
If the folder was marked as private, or it was stored somewhere in my documents and your profile was made private, then it's pretty much gone. When you mark a profile private, it encrypts all the files, so when you go to view them on another computer, they just don't show up.

That's kinda what backups are for....
If that is the problem you could try make the old drive your primary boot drive and let it boot the old windows. It might allow you access to the folders. Then make the drive not private and try again.

Old 04-25-08, 10:18 AM
Toofer,

I think I may have put a password on it to keep it private and set up a 'Guest' account for other persons to access the PC. In which case, my only chance now is to set up the junked PC again and undo the password.

OK, so that raises another question. I am pretty sure that the intermittent motherboard problem had corrupted my OS on the hard drive. It's been a long time since something similar to this had happened, but I seem to remember being able to reload the OS without frying the data back when I was using either Windows 95 or Windows 98. Does XP allow you to do something like this? I did try restoring a different hard drive recently using XP but it kind of deadended me into a DOS-type screen with no helpful instructions on how to proceed. The other option ended up reformatting the drive. Has anyone here been able to work past this?

Old 04-25-08, 11:13 AM
reloading WILL wipe the whole documents and settings folder.

Old 04-25-08, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by aramis7350 View Post
Toofer,

I think I may have put a password on it to keep it private and set up a 'Guest' account for other persons to access the PC. In which case, my only chance now is to set up the junked PC again and undo the password.

OK, so that raises another question. I am pretty sure that the intermittent motherboard problem had corrupted my OS on the hard drive. It's been a long time since something similar to this had happened, but I seem to remember being able to reload the OS without frying the data back when I was using either Windows 95 or Windows 98. Does XP allow you to do something like this? I did try restoring a different hard drive recently using XP but it kind of deadended me into a DOS-type screen with no helpful instructions on how to proceed. The other option ended up reformatting the drive. Has anyone here been able to work past this?

Try a repair installation. It will be problematic since the mobo is going bad. I would remove all peripherals down to mouse, keyboard, video, memory. cd and hard drive. Pull all other cards out from the motherboard and disconnect any usb devices.

Other than that you can try using and imaging software such as Acronis with the universal restore option and attempt to deploy the image to new hardware...the problem is if the windows installtion is corrupt this might not work or require a repair installation after the fact.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Last edited by chcbearsfan; 04-25-08 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added url