Slow Service

Old 05-02-08, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Slow Service

during times of slow internet service,(verizion dsl/ over a land line telephone connection).
how can i tell what speed the isp is running at/ or the p/c capibility?(emachines-T2542/ 2.50GHZ INTEL/40GB H.D./ is this out dated terribly?)
thanks-mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-08, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
Go to Control Panel and click on Network Connections, then double-click on the Hi Speed Internet.
My computer is old too and similar to what your's has and I also have Verizon DSL, and this past week it's been ridiculously slow, to the point that I was going no where fast , so I called the tech support and they had me reset the modem and it's working good again. Try turning your modem off then on again and see if that helps speed things up.

Old 05-02-08, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your PC is over 2 years old, then it is outdated in terms of technology, but not functionality.

DSL is known to be much slower then it's cable counterpart.

I typically use pcpitstop.com and run their full tests. It will check the condition of your pc.

Old 05-02-08, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
during times of slow internet service,(verizion dsl/ over a land line telephone connection).
how can i tell what speed the isp is running at/ or the p/c capibility?(emachines-T2542/ 2.50GHZ INTEL/40GB H.D./ is this out dated terribly?)
thanks-mike
It depends entirely on the service you purchase. There is slow DSL and fast DSL. Slow DSL is approx 4x dial up. Fast DSL rivals cable service providers offers, however cable holds the advantage but Verizon FiOS is making inroads.

As for the computer I would need to know more than processor and HD but my guess is yes. You can get an entry level core2duo processor based system for under 500 which will spank any system with a single core processor (typically).

Edit: I jut looked up your computer and mildly put it is outdated and the outdated components used were cheapest components available when you bought it.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...on%20530&s=dfh

That is a link to Dell outlet or home and home office and every one of the PC's listed would be a significant upgrade. I would stick with the core 2 duo over the dual core processors listed but this is just an example of the affordability of upgrading an old PC.

Emachines are the lowest of low end computers that the big box stores sell. They use low end parts with low end warranties but are very cheap in price comparatively speaking (rightfully so).

I imagine your Internet is slow due to a slower speed dsl connections, compined with some malware activity (spyware viruses) and the components that make up your system are not good.

If it were me I would pop for an upgrade as long as I could reasonably afford it.

Old 05-03-08, 05:54 AM
Is your machine outdated? It depends on what you use it for.
If all you do is surf the web, e-mail, type up some documents, then, no, it is not outdated. It's just slower than a newer machine. Don't replace it just because someone tells you to.
If it no longer does what you need it to do, replace it.

Old 05-03-08, 06:28 AM
That PC will be much faster than the internet on its best days. You might want to upgrade RAM some.

There are online speed tests to test the speed between a point and you. Perhaps your ISP has a local one.

Old 05-03-08, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
Is your machine outdated? It depends on what you use it for.
If all you do is surf the web, e-mail, type up some documents, then, no, it is not outdated. It's just slower than a newer machine. Don't replace it just because someone tells you to.
If it no longer does what you need it to do, replace it.

If it was doing what he needed I dont think that question would have ever been asked.

Bottom line is the computer is not worth sinking another penny into. The memory on the specs I found have you at 256. That is not close to sufficient in todays world.

It is time to upgrade if you can reasonably afford it and are unhappy with the performance.

If all we needed was Internet and word processing why arent we still running p2-p3 class machines. The answer is faster computer = faster performance across the board and at some point, usually at the 5 year mark, its time to retire the computer and upgrade.

Old 05-03-08, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
That PC will be much faster than the internet on its best days. You might want to upgrade RAM some.

There are online speed tests to test the speed between a point and you. Perhaps your ISP has a local one.
Computers hardware very much indeed affect the speed of your Internet. With 256MB RAM.....running Windows XP, IE, AV....well things are fighting for resources. Add the multiple toolbars, chat programs, and other startup items and you are getting significant page faults that drags the system down.

Upgrading the memory in a 5 year old computer is ludicrous. If he is lucky he is in DDR but is more likely he is in SDRAM. Regardless you are looking at 25% the price of a new PC to try and breathe new life into a emachines computer with a celeron processor.

That is what is called a horrible decision.

Why not try answering his question honestly.

newtofta - Your computer is horribly outdated and when bought new had the cheapest of components used in the build. That is the hallmark of the emachines brand and why they are priced real low compared to others when your browsing them at Best Buy. The computer hardware is also affecting your speed across the board regardless of what these guys (or gals) are saying. Like I said. If you can resonably afford it, it is time to upgrade. You will be much happier you did and you can convert your PC to a kids room computer or something.

Old 05-03-08, 07:39 AM
As to find your connection speed.....

Go to either of these sites....

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
http://www.speedtest.net

Click the location closest to you and it will report back you upload and download speeds which is what rates the speed of your Internet connection.

Old 05-03-08, 10:23 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The computer I mostly use has 512 mb RAM. It does not "run" any faster on the Internet than my 256 mb RAM computer.

What slows down the computer is running all the unnecessary programs in the background AND/OR multitasking. For a person that is just "cruisin' the 'net" 256 mb is fine.

And in case anyone is wondering, I'm running XP with a 5/2 FiOS connection.

Just my opinion.

Old 05-03-08, 08:12 PM
yes, it was a low priced unit, I thought it was ok-for what I do,surfing/ebay/ diy.com/banking.
but in the last 3-4 months, it has started to get anoying-slow/locks up.
I turned off all un unused icons in the bar-by clock./helped some.but not near as fast as what is available at my work place(i do not klow what service they have)
i have verizion dsl- not fios.
IF! i wanted to up grade (concidering what I do) should I not go to the box store? poss the "dell" link mentioned above?
(i am a car mechanic- not an electronics type person)
but I still like to" LOOK AROUND"
MIKE

Old 05-03-08, 08:23 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Your computer is probably okay for those uses.

Assuming that you use Internet Explorer you need to clear out your "cookies"clear your history and possibly defragment the hard disc drive. I don't use IE so I don't remember all of the steps necessary to dump cookies and clear history. I think you will find them under the "Tools" drop-down menu.

Defragmenting the hard drive is accessible by going Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Disk defragmenter

Old 05-03-08, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
yes, it was a low priced unit, I thought it was ok-for what I do,surfing/ebay/ diy.com/banking. but in the last 3-4 months, it has started to get anoying-slow/locks up.
This could indicate it's time for a reinstallation of the OS. Defragging won't always help much. The registry gets clogged with junk and slows the machine down.

I turned off all un unused icons in the bar-by clock./helped some.but not near as fast as what is available at my work place(i do not klow what service they have)
i have verizion dsl- not fios.
Click on Start - Programs - Startup you can delete anything or everything there. All they do is start programs in the background that you may not even use.

IF! i wanted to up grade (concidering what I do) should I not go to the box store? poss the "dell" link mentioned above?
(i am a car mechanic- not an electronics type person)
but I still like to" LOOK AROUND"
MIKE
Best Buy has a bad reputation, especially if you fall for the service contract they push on you. It's a rip-off as is their service by the Geek Squad.
I've purchased from Circuit City with very good results. Many Dell parts are proprietary, such as motherboards and power supplies, as is Gateway.

Wherever you buy one, you do not need to spend extra for a service contract.

Old 05-03-08, 10:43 PM
Furd, Classicsat, Oneofamill, and Chcbearsfan all have posted excellent advice.

IMO you don't need a new box. If it ran fast when you first got DSL and now it's slow, something else is at play here.

As a car mechanic, sometimes you have to repack the bearings in a u-joint to get rid of the junk that accumulates. Or replace it altogether.

Same thing with computers: Every now & then they need to be tuned up. In your case after two years of surfing, you've probably accumulated all kinds of web-installed junk that has to be purged.

Freebie programs that will help you do this include Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware, any good anti-virus program such as AVG or McAfee, and a program called HijackThis, which gives you a full report on what's happening inside your machine.

The first thing I'd do, though, is check to make sure you haven't run out of disk space. If there's less than 10% free space on your hard drive, no amount of RAM or cleanup will make that machine run as it was intended.

Old 05-04-08, 07:45 AM
Question

from the "speed test " link above, i got results- down load 1534 kbps / up 374 kbps.
is this about normal for dsl?

Old 05-04-08, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
I've run that test more than once and it comes up between 750 and 950 download speed, yet my service is not slow. When I was having problems last week, it still showed this. I don't think this test is any indicator of what's really going on.

Old 05-05-08, 04:38 AM
Those numbers aren't bad for DSL, newtofta. I think you need to look at doing some housekeeping.

Start here (ignore Ready Boost).

And seriously, if you don't have spyware protection you definitely have some junk on that machine that's siphoning off some of your bandwidth. Instead of the Microsoft offering listed on the site above, install Spybot S&D.

Old 05-05-08, 08:03 AM
Also, if you have restore discs.....that's a very good option for resetting your computer back to the way it was when you got it. It will totally reinstall the operating system so you can "start fresh". Just make sure you back up any photos or documents you might have on the computer before doing so since it will format and erase everything on the hard drive. In my opinion, that is the easiest way to fix your problems, and probably the quickest.

I know a lot of people on here are against reinstalling the OS, but honestly, sometimes you just can't get it working the way it should by trying to "clean" things up. Sometimes the only way is to reload it totally. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-25-08, 06:22 PM
Question another question

my monitor screen has started to (for lack of better words)
"quiver",sorta like looking at a florecent tube,
it is the regular 17" t/v tube type - e machines,came w/ the package.
any ideas?

Old 05-25-08, 07:05 PM
Time for a new E-Machine package & while you are at it (
If avail. in your area ) toss in a Broadband connection.
You will be very happy with the speed...................

Old 05-26-08, 06:27 AM
Thumbs up

it was the power supply for the router (the remote d/c adapter)

thanks.