Dell NIC drivers

Old 05-09-08, 07:43 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dell NIC drivers

Hi All,

I'm running into a problem with a couple of Dells which I'm refurbishing.

First situation - I was refurbing a Dell Optiplex GX260. The OS loaded fine but when it came time to load the drivers, I ran into a problem finding the NIC driver. The Dell resource disk, which had the Optiplex GX260 listed, had drivers for everything but the NIC. By sheer blind luck, I had the PC search in its XP driver base and it happened to find the correct driver.

Second situation - Not so lucky. I'm refurbing a Dell Optiplex GX270, and once again I can find all of the drivers but the NIC driver. But this time, no luck when I search the XP driver base. So I'm stuck - I can't get the PC to log on to the internet to do a download from the Dell website because, with no NIC driver, I cannot access the internet. I did try downloading all of the NIC files from the Dell website onto a CD by using my PC at work but it looks like the GX270 can't open them or maybe the correct one is not included.

So here are my questions:
- Are the drivers, as downloaded directly from the Dell website, in zipped format? Do I need an unzip program to run them?
- How do I tell which driver is the correct one when the component description bears little or no resemblance to the driver description?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-08, 05:32 AM
T
Dell NIC Drivers

I looked at the website and it looks like there is only one choice for the NIC driver for the Optiplex GX270. It is the Intel Gigabit LOM. If you download it, the file will be named R66787.exe. Make sure you save it and make note of the location it will save it to. When you download it and choose save as the option, it just downloads a self extracting zip file, meaning you don't need a program to unzip it. It should be an exe file. Just execute the file and note the location of the extract. In that location will be a readme.htm that will give you instructions. It is easy from here, just find the XP folder and run the setup.exe file.

When I reformat a Dell, I always install the Chipset drivers first, then the NIC and then the video. I think a Dell tech told me to do it in that order.

Good luck. You are close, don't give up.

Old 05-10-08, 06:18 AM
C
For any Dell workstation the protocol to find the drivers you need is easy.

Go to small business (optiplex line) and click the support option. From there go to drivers and downloads. Pop in the service tag number and all applicable downloads will be available.

A note on both of those machines. When they were initially built they were shipped with defective motherboards. The capacitors leak and swell causing system instability.

Look at the motherboard and if any of them have swollen or leaking capacitors go ahead and harvest what you can from that PC but dont build it on that motherboard. It will fail you sooner than later.

As for drivers also grab the latest bios update and apply.

Hope that helps.