Wireless does not work

Old 05-12-08, 08:00 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wireless does not work

I am trying to connect my wireless router (linksys WRT54GS V7)
to my Motorola Cable Modem (SB5120). The cable modem works fine when connected to the computer directly, but I don't even get the internet light to light up when the router is connected to the cable modem.

I checked the connections and performed all the steps at the linksys tech support website, but still nothing. I need help!

Old 05-12-08, 08:55 PM
J
Is there a reset button or hole ( for paper clip ) on that unit.
Did you run disk check ( repair file errors ) on your drive?

Old 05-13-08, 08:57 PM
R
Connect back up your cable modem to your computer directly.

Release the IP by going into a dos command window. Click on Start, Run, and type cmd where it says open, and OK.

From the window you can type some commands. This one displays your IP info.

ipconfig /all

This command releases the IP.

ipconfig /release

You may have to wait a while before connecting it to your router as some ISP's have a period of time before they release the IP. Most people have only 1 dynamic IP going to their home. It is registered to your MAC Address of the device that it is connected to. In your case, the computer was registered. Once released, then it can re-register itself to a different device (your router).

Not knowing how long your cable internet provider hangs on to the last registered device, you may have to call their technical support and ask them to release the IP so that you can hook it up to a different device.

Old 05-14-08, 08:47 PM
C
Originally Posted by rbwest
Connect back up your cable modem to your computer directly.

Release the IP by going into a dos command window. Click on Start, Run, and type cmd where it says open, and OK.

From the window you can type some commands. This one displays your IP info.

ipconfig /all

This command releases the IP.

ipconfig /release

You may have to wait a while before connecting it to your router as some ISP's have a period of time before they release the IP. Most people have only 1 dynamic IP going to their home. It is registered to your MAC Address of the device that it is connected to. In your case, the computer was registered. Once released, then it can re-register itself to a different device (your router).

Not knowing how long your cable internet provider hangs on to the last registered device, you may have to call their technical support and ask them to release the IP so that you can hook it up to a different device.
Agreed for the most part. I would just call your provider to make sure they release the MAC lock on your network. You should get some free support from them unless your comforatble with everything he suggested.

Old 06-06-08, 12:20 PM
T
It's Dead

Well long story short: After hour or so with linksys they determined that the modem has died. The cool thing is that since I purchased it June 10 of last year, they are sending me a new one. A few more days and I would have been outside the warranty.

Thanks for everyones help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: