Dell Optiplex processor interchangability question

Old 05-13-08, 02:46 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dell Optiplex processor interchangability question

I had posted earlier about refurbing a couple of Dell Optiplex PC's - Models GX260 and GX270 - and the problems with their NIC drivers.

Anyway this is a followup question.

It looks like the GX270 (3.0 Ghz processor) may have a bad motherboard. So, can I swap out this processor for that of the GX260 (2.4 Ghz processor)? Will the 3.0 Ghz processor work in the GX260? If so, does the bios automatically sense the processor properties or do I have to manually set jumpers (and where they)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-08, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I dont believe so because they are different chipsets. The GX270 is a 865G chipset, and the 260 is a 845G chipset.

Are you sure about those processors? I'm showing the 270 at 2.8ghz, and the 260 at 2.0.

Edit:

Actually, it should work. They are both 478 pin connectors with the same rated BUS speeds.

Old 05-14-08, 07:20 AM
A
I was given these PC's at work and I was able to use their id's on the Dell website to find out their configuration.

I did try and the two processors are a match physically but when I try to boot up, nothing happens but a blank screen. Which means either that they are incompatible or that I need to do a reset, maybe by jumpers or maybe in the bios. I was kind of hoping to salvage that 3.0Ghz processor, if you know what I mean.

Going back a few years, I remember reconfiguring motherboards for a different processor by rejumpering, but I don't see any obvious jumpers on this motherboard.

Old 05-14-08, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've never had to jumper anything on a MB when swapping out chips. BIOS and the chipsets do this automatically.

It might not work because of the different chipsets I stated earlier.

You can reset a MB by unplugging the machine and removing the BIOS battery for a few minutes.

Old 05-14-08, 08:33 PM
C
You need to provide more information.

Is it making it to or through POST? Can you access the BIOS with the new chip onboard? If so can the BIOS see it?
If not did you flash the bios to the latest revision from Dell's site? IT is likely a01 if you havent which will be 6 or so versions back.

Old 05-15-08, 07:45 AM
A
Originally Posted by chcbearsfan View Post
You need to provide more information.

Is it making it to or through POST? Can you access the BIOS with the new chip onboard? If so can the BIOS see it?
If not did you flash the bios to the latest revision from Dell's site? IT is likely a01 if you havent which will be 6 or so versions back.
With the new chip on board, it's not even making it to POST - no beep, nothing.

HotinOKC is probably correct in that they may be totally incompatible.