Ntfs? Fat32?

Old 05-21-08, 08:42 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ntfs? Fat32?

I recently purchased a new computer with Vista on it (no choice it seems these days). I noted that the SATA drive is formatted FAT32.
Isn't that an older, less efficient file system?

I have read here that there is a 4gb file size limit. This may eventually be a problem for me in that I work with video (large) files.

Can I change the drive to NTFS or does it have to be wiped/formatted?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-08, 11:35 AM
C
To convert without a format:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb456984.aspx

My computer seemed to run slower than a clean load when I did this. I did end up just reloading it. Don't know if that was really the issue or just an imagined symptom though.

Old 05-21-08, 12:36 PM
T
I would highly recommend reloading if you're going to do that. That's a major change and would not expect it to run as good as a fresh install. I'm sure some have done it with no problem, but if it were me, I'd reinstall.

Old 05-21-08, 02:43 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Here's a Microsoft Tech Sheet that explains the differences.

You're right about the 4 gig limit in Fat32. As a video editor, you probably have already run into that "wall" when trying to copy & save large DVD disc images.

I'd reinstall and choose to format the drive as NTFS.

Is the Adobe editing app working on Vista?

Old 05-21-08, 03:46 PM
E
Well, it a little late to flush & fill (format). I've got a ton of stuff on the drive already. I just assumed Vista would use NTFS since I thought FAT32 was outdated (I don't know as much about drives & technology as I should).

No Vista disks either -- a Future Shop deal. Best I could do is RESTORE from my backup disk.

Yeah, I went with Adobe CS3 after I tried running my PP2. It sort of worked when I installed/ran it in XP Compatibility mode but it seemed to be running slow. CS3 seems happy.

Old 05-22-08, 06:49 AM
E
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
Thanks for the pointer chand :-) I waded through the article & it seems possible to convert with format.

I mentioned that I wasn't given Vista disks with the computer --I had to make Recover Disks -- what exactly do these Recover Disks allow me to do?

Last edited by Editor; 05-22-08 at 06:50 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 05-22-08, 07:13 AM
C
I reread the article. It seemed a bit ambiguous.

This command will not format the drive.
convert c: /fs:ntfs

As for the restore disks, if you're lucky the'll reload the OS and give you the option to format with NTFS.

My IBM restore disks did not provide me with that luxury so I had to convert after I loaded them. However, on my 250 GB drive, it recognized that FAT32 could not address that size of drive so it automatically formated NTSF.

Old 05-22-08, 08:07 AM
C
I have converted many a file system and they do not cause any issues with system volume or any others. Since it is a major change do backup the critical files.

Use the convert command as chandltp instructed and you will be fine. Whoever installed Vista did not know what they were doing as all major vendors install on NTFS.

As for restore disks I imagine they wont help you much without the original disks since you created them yourself. These arent your typical restore disks as provided from the manufacturer. My understanding is it will allow you to repair an installation but not do a cean install.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...recovery-disc/

I would go back to whoever sold you the computer or provided Vista and get your installation disks. You should have that along with a license to run the Operating System. If you dont then I would wonder where it is and why you dont have it. Last thing you want is to be running a pirated copy that genuine advantage will, at some time, catch and invalidate.

If your running a pirated version then your getting what you paid for....problems.

Old 05-22-08, 09:50 AM
C
Originally Posted by chcbearsfan View Post
As for restore disks I imagine they wont help you much without the original disks since you created them yourself. These arent your typical restore disks as provided from the manufacturer.
That depends on how it was done. On my IBM laptop, after it installed, I had to create the restore disks myself. They were created from the restore partition on the drive in case I ever lost the drive. They are identical in content to what I would have paid $50 to get extra. That's the way computers seem to be going. You get a sticker on the side of the box and you need to make your own restore disks with a utility they provide.

Old 05-22-08, 12:59 PM
E
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
That's the way computers seem to be going. You get a sticker on the side of the box and you need to make your own restore disks with a utility they provide.
Yeah, I asked around here at the time I bought the machine and like chandltp & a few others said, it is the way of the future I guess.

Old 05-22-08, 04:03 PM
FAT vs NTFS on Vista

You can convert FAT to NTFS, but the security properties of the resulting system are uncertain to say the least. FAT does not have any permission controls (they are called ACL's or DACL's in the literature and documentation). Without these permission controls, totally untrusted processes can tamper with the system without any problems. Such simple tampering is prevented by the NTFS permission system.

I would suggest backing up your data, getting a installation disc, and reinstalling. Systems on FAT discs cannot be secured. If you are interested in a technical overview of this stuff, there is an article in the IEEE Security and Privacy journal for May/June of 2008.