Dell Inspiron 5000 won't power up

Old 05-26-08, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dell Inspiron 5000 won't power up

My friend's Dell laptop was working fine until one day for no apparent reason, it wouldn't power up. The power adapter seems to be OK, I measure 19.5 volts on the plug. When I hit the laptop's power switch, the green LED on the adapter just fades out and nothing whatsoever happens on the laptop itself.

This is a PIII which I installed Ubuntu on for my friend, and he let me use it for a month on a trip. I feel responsible for it not working, and want to try fixing it. I suspect it's a bad jack for the power input, but why would it just suddenly go like this with no warning? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-08, 10:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There usually are no warnings. Things....break. Dell has been known to have bad power jack in the machine and bad motherboards.

Old 05-27-08, 07:54 AM
I would try and find another power supply you could test it with. That would really be the only feasible replacement cost I would consider on a laptop that old. Bad mobo, forget it. Bad jack, maybe worth it, probably not.

Old 05-27-08, 10:27 AM
Funny how things like this seem to have a mind of their own, and work only when they want to. After a week of trying, it now works. The laptop had been dropped about a year ago and has a cracked case. I think finally the planets were aligned just right and I said and did the right thing at the right time to make it want to power up

Old 05-27-08, 02:33 PM
Notebooks are tempermental creatures.

My notebook has a strange habit of rebooting whenever it's held in one hand or balanced on a ladder (don't ask). Turns out the case is flexing.

I took it to our IT guy. After I explained the problem, he said, "Don't do that anymore. Put it on a desk or the floor."

Easy for him to say. He sits in a chair at a desk while he works. I can't recall ever seeing him connecting to a device that's been installed in the ceiling of a commercial building. (Again, don't ask!)

Old 05-28-08, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Notebooks are tempermental creatures.

My notebook has a strange habit of rebooting whenever it's held in one hand or balanced on a ladder (don't ask). Turns out the case is flexing.

I took it to our IT guy. After I explained the problem, he said, "Don't do that anymore. Put it on a desk or the floor."

Easy for him to say. He sits in a chair at a desk while he works. I can't recall ever seeing him connecting to a device that's been installed in the ceiling of a commercial building. (Again, don't ask!)

I know it wouldn't be an easy fix, but you could dissassemble it and tighten all the screws

Not an easy fix but it might help.