Is this enough of an upgrade to invest my time?

Old 06-10-08, 02:55 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this enough of an upgrade to invest my time?

I have an old AMD 1500 processor run computer with 1024gb of ram with a nothing special sound and video card and IIRC a slightly better case and power supply so I was wondering if it is worth the time investment to swap over to a Dell produced computer that I can get for free less a bad HD that was removed. The unit is a P4 2.8 with 512gb of ram. This is a package computer (no real upgrades) by Dell with built in video and sound card in the MB.

I don't do much with my computer, just basic surfing and burning CD/DVD's.

I thought I heard that these package style of weren't very good so I figured I would ask you all before possibly wasting my time.

Old 06-10-08, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If the one you have now does everything you want, why ask for trouble. Take it and play with it, but I bet you won't notice any difference for what you use it for.

BTW I'm running an Emachine case that someone gave me with an AMD Athlon 1800,2 80G drives,1.25G ram and an upgraded video and sound card. Less than $100 invested and I'm perfectly happy. This my garage PC, wife has the nice one inside if needed.

Old 06-10-08, 04:15 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
IMO both of those machines should perform about equally well for your use. The Dell processor is faster but it has half the ram. Your machine has a slower proc with twice the ram.

You're not really taxing the proc by surfing and burning.

If you're editing video for those DVDs, though, the faster proc speed will come into play. You'd probably want to add more ram.

Hopefully you have the original Dell discs or that project will take more time than it's worth.

Old 06-10-08, 08:46 PM
X
Would I still need the Dell disc's with a new hard drive, different video card and XP Pro?

Old 06-11-08, 04:57 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dell's drivers for the built-in sound card and other mobo devices can probably be found on their website.

Old 06-11-08, 08:50 AM
T
I would just put your hard drive in the dell case and reload windows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: