Home network and file sharing

Old 06-11-08, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home network and file sharing

We recently purchased a new HP desktop running Vista home edition and have an older Dell PC running XP, with tons of music and CAD files I'd laike to be able to access. They are both wired through a Belkin router. I can't get any file sharing set up. The Vista computer recognizes only itself on the network and the XP computer recognizes both computers but "does not have authoization" to access any files in the shared folder of the Vista computer.
Please, if you can, explain it as if I'm a 4 year old as I'm not computer savvy at all. I tried going through all the HP and MS help pages and thought I did everything right. On the Vista computer, network discovery is on and on the XP computer, the network is set as private and the firewall is set to allow other computers on the network access. Also, the workgroup name is the same for both.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-08, 08:45 AM
Maybe this article will help..
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_10...682194#2682194

Old 06-13-08, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I had this same problem but my new laptop has vista and my desktop has XP. This is the wierd part. My bro lived w/ us for 6 months and he had an xp desktop DELL, and I could get his files off of his computer whan I was on my laptop setting in the living room. My desktop is wired to the router and my brothers and I were the one's wireless. He had a little usb linksys thing that he used. GOOD LUCK I GAVE UP!! LOL

Old 06-13-08, 10:11 AM
This is strange.

My new vista empowered laptop can share with my old xp pc upstairs but cannot access my wifes xp laptop even though she has sharing enabled .

I think she has a secret way of stopping her files from being shared , or sharing is turned off. or maybe its the user who shares the directory has to be the admin . hmmm

it does work on my pc upstairs

aaaaaaaaaaaah

Old 06-16-08, 02:42 PM
Geo,

Are you able to ping your wife's laptop from your Vista box?

Old 06-18-08, 07:06 AM
I appreciate all the help. I haven't tried anything yet as my wife's identity was stolen and someone went on a credit opening and shopping spree. I'll get to this within the next couple days and post back with any questions. Once again, thank you.

I guess if all else fails, I could probably hire some 16 yr old kid to do it . Never thought I'd become the same techno inept person like my grandparents trying to figure out their vcr.

Old 06-20-08, 09:41 AM
perhaps a little off topic, but given the OP topic name...

I have windows XP on a desktop AND a laptop. Had a network setup (files and printer shared) that USED to work. Then one day, KAPUT! I CANNOT get the nework setup to work again. I've tried the auto setups, manually, firewall settings, firewall OFF, everything I can think of, but it simply WILL. NOT. WORK. Neither can see the other. Cannot ping, nothing. But I CAN get to the internet through the router from the laptop. Just not the network.

Any ideas there?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 06-26-08, 12:41 PM
Are they both in the same workgroup? Windows sharing can be a bear. THe other day here at work, my linux box was the only share ANY of the windows computers could see. After much gnashing of teeth and reboots, things went back to normal. I've no explanation though; filesharing in windows sometimes requires a shaman and tarot cards...

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 06-27-08 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Url removed -- Advertising is not allowed.
Old 06-29-08, 08:26 AM
Start from square one.

If you cant ping between the devices, fix that first. Either the network is improperly configured or security software is in the way.

If devices cant talk they sure cant share information. That has nothing to do with XP, Vista or Windows.

Old 07-14-08, 11:28 PM
going wireless is a HUGE risk. Make sure you have the proper security software installed. this is most likly how the identity theft happened. If you bank online you are risking everything you own. A hacker can pull up infront of your house and within minutes gain access to everything on all your computers.

stay away from vista until sp2 comes out for it.

Old 07-15-08, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by malious intent View Post
going wireless is a HUGE risk. Make sure you have the proper security software installed. this is most likly how the identity theft happened. If you bank online you are risking everything you own. A hacker can pull up infront of your house and within minutes gain access to everything on all your computers.

stay away from vista until sp2 comes out for it.
Going wireless is not a huge risk... not a risk at all if you have your network set up properly, which isn't difficult if one knows how to read and follow simple instructions.

The risk is in human stupidity.

Old 07-15-08, 01:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by TheRoman View Post
The risk is in human stupidity.
You sure have that right.

Old 07-15-08, 06:10 PM
WPA or WPA2 with a strong key is very secure.