Can't get past Welcome screen in Windows XP

Old 07-03-08, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't get past Welcome screen in Windows XP

Compaq S4200NX
Windows XP Home Edition
7/3/08
Problem: After several years of booting directly to Desktop icons, the other day my computer suddenly started rebooting to Welcome screen. Click on Owner, it prompts for a Password. I don’t have one. Have also tried logging on as Administrator but no luck there either.
Have seen a few places on Web where someone suggests a “Repair Install” using Windows CD.

Complication: A while back my computer stopped recognizing my CD drive. I looked into fixing it but the instructions I found were a bit “scary” – deleting things and making changes in the Registry – so was concerned about screwing up and losing the hard drive.

So at this point I DO NOT have access to a CD Drive from which I can try to boot.

I DO have an external drive on which I regularly copy my internal hard drive to. So it is possible I can get something off of there – if I can get the machine to recognize it – remember, I cannot get into Windows at this point, only to the Welcome screen.

Anyway, a lot to chew on. If anyone has any suggestions I am ready, willing and able – and getting a bit desperate!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-08, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just a thought. On my puter I get the same screen and I don't have a password assigned. I simply click on enter or just hit the enter key and away we go.

Old 07-03-08, 03:12 PM
yeah try hitting enter, maybe there is not password, but it still comes up with a password box (shouldn't, but you know how that goes). It sounds like someone has gotten on your machine and changed your passwords.

There are several options for you.

If you can get to another pc, download austrumi live cd, run that and it has a utility for changing the admin password on a windows box, it's pretty easy really.

Also with the cd rom drive thing, if it's just not working in windows, it still may work fine to boot off of. It could be a driver that's screwed up in windows not allowing it to work.

I would try the password change before trying to reinstall or repair windows, that will cause a lot more work for you than just changing the password.

Here's a link to the austrumi download. From what I remember you bring up a terminal window when you get the live cd booted, and type ntpass. You may be able to google it for a little more info.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=103017

Old 07-07-08, 03:17 AM
As goldstar had said, try enter while leaving the password blank.

Else, boot into safe mode and go in the administrator account, try to de-activate the password login screen from there.