Wireless network setup - no USB on WAP

Old 07-16-08, 08:53 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless network setup - no USB on WAP

I ran the wireless network setup wizard on a new Dell PC to be able share files/email etc. with a Dell Inspiron laptop.

The steps say to load the wireless settings to my WAP with a USB flash drive but the WAP does not have a USB port. The wireless connection is through a Lynksys wireless 8.11g doohicky.

How do I load the settings to the WAP?.

Old 07-16-08, 01:03 PM
T
Is your new dell connected to the router with a cable, or is it wireless as well?

Old 07-16-08, 01:35 PM
S
It is connected with a cable, supposed to be wireless capable (if this matters).

Old 07-16-08, 02:29 PM
T
Since it is wired you don't need to do anything with the router. I'm assuming you're having trouble seeing the laptop from your desktop?

Old 07-16-08, 02:52 PM
S
I never made it that far. I stopped at the point that I received the message about the USB flash drive.

I'll continue on and see how it goes. Thanks.

Old 07-16-08, 08:24 PM
S
do both computers need to be connected to the wireless router? I only have one RJ cable

Old 07-17-08, 05:04 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If both of the computers can't connect to the Internet at the same time, they won't be able to connect to each other. You need to either buy another ethernet cable or use the laptop's wireless capabilities.

Old 07-17-08, 05:28 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The USB drive is used to transfer settings from one computer to another, to setup your network. It is intended for you to plug the drive into the first computer, save the settings to the USB drive, then take that drive to the other computer to setup the network on it.

Old 07-17-08, 07:16 AM
S
I successfully transferred the settings via USB and the laptop operates wirelessly in another area of the house. I just realized that the laptop was not in wireless mode when I attempted the setup. Duh. I will give another try tonight.

Old 08-05-08, 10:29 PM
S
Now I am trying this on my own computers. Netgear WGT624 wireless router through modem provided by earthlink on one PC. Netgear WG311T PCI adapter on 2nd computer.

I can see both computers in the workgroup for the pc with PCI adapter but only the primary pc on the main pc. I ran wireless network and standard network wizard.

Can't access internet from the pc with PCI card, however this PC can connect to the wireless network.

First question is do I run the wizard on both computers? 2nd issue is when I run the wireless wizard from the 2nd PCI adapter pc, then connect to the USB on the pc with the wireless router it says there is no wireless adapter on the main PC and can't complete the setup.

HELP!!!!

Old 08-06-08, 10:22 PM
S
Where did everybody go? Brett Favre press conference? PC geek convention?

Anyway, turns out my modem can't be switched to bridge because the ip address doesn't respond. Now I am off to spend more money on new equipment!~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: