newer, faster RAM?

Old 08-04-08, 09:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
newer, faster RAM?

I have a dell l700cx with factory installed 512MB ram. Is the newer RAM faster than what would have been installed when the machine was built? Probably 5-7 years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-08, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 29 Posts
The new types of RAM will probably not work in an older computer. You'd have to stick with the same type as what's in there now (should be in your manual). Upgrading to more ram, would help make your computer faster. My son has 2 computers, but he upgraded his older one from 512MB to 2GIG which sped it up some, but he had to use the same type.

Old 08-04-08, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My terms my be a little off, but...

Its the clock speed of the system (motherboard) that determines speed of the memory. Thats why you can use a higher speed rated memory OF THE SAME TYPE, but it will run at the slower speed. So no advantage, unless you just can't find the older slower stuff.

Some boards, I think, might be able to be changed to a higher speed, but I think that can affect your processor and cause overheating and instability.

Not much sense in trying to turn a model "T" into a Corvette.
As long as it does what it needs to, add some more memory as you can, and just let it be.