Norton

Old 08-25-08, 07:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Norton

I have been having a problem with my Norton Internet Security 2008. When I try to run a full system scan, it gets partway through and stops. Says something about an "internal error has caused a problem"

I have spent HOURS on the Norton chat help, where they tweaked a bunch of stuff, including uninstalling and reinstalling the Norton. Now I am in an email dialog with their help. They suggest changing a setting, it doesn't help, and now waiting for their next suggestion.

I have heard the recommendations to dump Norton, and I am probably ready to do that.....but I still would like to know what the issues is. Could it be an issue in my computer, or my vista, or whatever?

Any suggestions about what to check?

Old 08-25-08, 08:07 AM
J
Under security settings--make sure windows firewall is turned
off & norton firewall is turned on....................

Old 08-25-08, 10:59 AM
T
Procedure to fix Norton.

1. go to add/remove programs in control panel

2. click to remove all norton products

3. reboot machine

4. download and install avg free antivirus

5. use machine normally

There you have it, a fail safe way to fix your machine AND make it run better at the same time!!

Seriously though, I can't count the number of machines I've removed norton from to "fix" the computer.

Old 08-25-08, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Could it be an issue in my computer, or my vista, or whatever?
It's an issue with Norton actually, and its not just you. The problem is Norton refuses to acknowledge that it's their problem and won't put a fix out.

Old 08-28-08, 04:12 PM
I have been through about 3 go-rounds with Norton where they say try this, and I do and tell them it doesn't work. Latest yesterday was they had me uninstall, and install "Norton 2008.5"...that will fix it! Well it doesn't fix it.

Now, other than not being able to complete a Norton scan, I am not aware of any malfunction in the computer,.but I am worried.

I am at the point where I am thinking of having the geek squad or someone like that reinstall Vista, or whatever that process is called. Before doing that, I am thinking of using an online backup like Carbonite.....

SO my question today is....if I back up like that , is it possible that whatever I backup might perpetuate the problem? Any other suggestions?

Old 08-29-08, 07:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I also dumped AVG, as it turned into a resource hog on version 8.0. Avast is working well for me now.

Old 08-30-08, 07:17 PM
I gave up on Norton, and installed Kaspersky 2009 Internet Security. I have used Kaspersky before on another computer and liked it. If Norton asks me how was their customer service, they won't like my answer!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: