reboot with xp cd after reformat of hard disk

Old 09-09-08, 07:20 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
reboot with xp cd after reformat of hard disk

Before I knew any better I installed XP on top of Windows 98. Now I want to reformat the hard drive and start fresh.

PC is a Dell L700/CX with 512MB installed.

I don't have the boot disk for either OP system but I do have XP Home CD and Windows 98 CD.

Can I set the bios to start from the CD drive and install either operating system without a boot disk?

Assuming I get this far should I install Win98 instead of WinXP? This is a second PC used for basic MS Word and surfing web with a wireless card going through a wireless router on main PC.

Old 09-09-08, 07:25 AM
L
your xp home cd should be bootable, you may have to enter the bios and make first boot to the cdrom.

good luck and have a great day

Old 09-09-08, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'd recommend going with the XP, if the machine is able to run it. IIRC 98 doesn't have all the USB support as well as quite a few other things. Be prepared for a ton of update downloads after you install it.

The first thing you should do after going online is download or install some Antivirus software.

Don't remember the specifics, but something like 90% of PC's are attacked w/in 1 min of going online. Maybe thats way off but the figures were truly crazy.

Old 10-07-08, 01:32 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Nope. Simply stated you can't load XP or Vista on a raw hard disc. No amount of fiddling with the bios - boot sequence included - will allow it to boot. You need to do either one of two things:

Get an OEM rescue/restore disk. These are usually supplied with a loaded computer. These will generally boot - and install the operating system (and all the junk that came bundled with the machine). Sounds good right - it isn't that good. The machine you are building will never pass the "Windows Validation". So if you are planning on trying to make it current, you will have to pay the Man.

Do as I do:
Set aside a whole evening. Use your MS-DOS boot disk and the Windows 98 SE CD and start from scratch. (I used to actually build up from 98, then load 2000 over that, then load Xp on top of that). Found out through trial and error that the 2000 step is not neccesary - just overlay XP on 98.

Forget about using 98 for anything other than a starting OS. If you have the XP software use it.

BTW - what do you mean by "before.......XP over 98"?

Old 10-07-08, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nope. Simply stated you can't load XP or Vista on a raw hard disc. No amount of fiddling with the bios - boot sequence included - will allow it to boot. You need to do either one of two things:
Explain please. The OP has a WinXP Home CD which is bootable. No need for a OEM Rescue/restore disk. I've done this a zillion times.

Also, to say it won't pass validation is also wrong. Only time it might not pass validation is if the CD key has been used a certain amount of times, usually 2-3 depending on the license key.

Old 10-07-08, 08:12 PM
I was going to say, I do the same procedure all the time. It works on ALL computers I've done it on...And as far as validation, all you have to do is contact M$ and they will validate it for you, for free.

Old 10-08-08, 04:53 PM
D
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chengny View Post
Nope. Simply stated you can't load XP or Vista on a raw hard disc.
This is completely and entirely incorrect, of course you can.

Old 10-10-08, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Davejb View Post
This is completely and entirely incorrect, of course you can.
I bought my laptop refurb-ed without an OS. I put an Xp Pro install CD in the drive and turned it on. The Xp Pro install screen appeared. The only thing I had to do was go to the manufacturers website and download the drivers for this laptop's model number.

Old 10-10-08, 11:31 PM
R
In fairness to Chengny (who said you can't load XP or Vista on a raw hard disk) ...

The original post by Stumped1 said he loaded XP on top of Win98. As I recall, Win98 machines required a CD driver in order to allow them to boot from a CD. Maybe that's why Chengny said it's not possible?

Old 10-11-08, 05:42 AM
D
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
In fairness to Chengny (who said you can't load XP or Vista on a raw hard disk) ...

The original post by Stumped1 said he loaded XP on top of Win98. As I recall, Win98 machines required a CD driver in order to allow them to boot from a CD. Maybe that's why Chengny said it's not possible?
Actually the Windows 98 CD's are not bootable at all, you had to boot from a floppy disk that loaded the CD drivers from config.sys and autoexec.bat. But it was still possible to install to an empty hard drive.

Old 10-11-08, 09:42 PM
S
Thanks for the suggestions. Since the pc had nothing worth keeping, I wiped the hard drive and did a fresh install of XP.

Working pretty well for a PC with only 512MB. I was able to network it to another PC, share wireless internet and exchange files.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: