Can I use two wireless network devices?

Old 09-14-08, 08:42 PM
Can I use two wireless network devices?

I have a netgear wireless card that gets good internet speed at 108 mbps but stalls on downloads. I have a linksys wireless usb that does well with downloads but only 54 mbps internet speed.

Can I install both and turn them off and on as needed, depending on what I am doing at the time?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-08, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What do you mean it stalls on downloads?
If you get good internet speed, downloads should be good. Or as good as the sending website.

Sure, you could use 2 cards and turn them on and off. Seems a bit silly though.

Old 09-15-08, 08:24 AM
Try updating the driver on the netgear.

Old 09-15-08, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Stumped1 View Post
I have a netgear wireless card that gets good internet speed at 108 mbps but stalls on downloads. I have a linksys wireless usb that does well with downloads but only 54 mbps internet speed.

Can I install both and turn them off and on as needed, depending on what I am doing at the time?
Even though the communication is supposed to be standard I've seen all kinds of wireless networking incompatibilities inter-brand over the years so I'm not supprised that you have problems with one brand of equiptment talking to a different one.

Anyway 54mbps is faster than you'll get with your ISP over the internet currently, and likely for quite sometime (years). So I recommend using that one since it works fine. If you are transferring from PC to PC in your home then the 108mpbs card will benefit you, though only 2x. So I would suggest sticking with the one that works.

Jeff

Old 09-15-08, 01:40 PM
I recently switched from DSl to cable, adding a wireless router and wireless card at the same.

I assumed the wireless router and card operate at the same speed as what my ISP provides.

Sounds like the wireless router and wireless card and/or USB are the reason for the increased speed. I'll leave it as is.

I learn something new every time I post in this forum.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-08, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Having 100mbps internet speed would be fantastic, but having 40gigs per second like this lady has, is even better:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguid...internet_N.htm

Could you imagine?