faxing with VoIP

Old 09-18-08, 02:49 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
faxing with VoIP

Hello,
Not sure if this the thread I need to be in but since my all in one printer copier fax hooks to my computer I figured I'd start here. I bought a Dell A10 Printer A940 at a garage sale. I have the printer hooked up and it prints , copies and scans but I can't get the fax to work. The manual says it needs to be hooked to a computer that has a modem. My Internet and phone are with the cable company so I don't have a regular dial up modem but I have a cable modem. When I try to send a fax it will tell me no dial tone. Is there some setting I need to set some where to send a fax using a cable line instead of a regular phone line?
Thanks Dave

Old 09-18-08, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
DSL (digital
subscriber line), ISDN
(integrated services
digital network) and cable
modems are not fax
modems and are not
supported.
First page of the manual:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/howtofax.pdf

Have you tried to connect the printer to the computer fax modem, and then to a normal phone jack?

Old 09-18-08, 04:07 PM
J
Is there a phone jack in your printer?
Are your telephones connected to a phone jack in your cable modem?

Old 09-18-08, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also note, there is no modem within the printer, and that is why i needs the PC to fax.

Old 09-19-08, 03:58 AM
F
The only lines coming out of my printer/fax is the power cord and a USB cord. My cable modem only has RJ45(Internet/network) plug ins, one place for the cable in and one RJ11 (phone jack) plug that goes to my wall jack.
I have an anolog to digital converter that I was using for something else so I placed that between the modem and wall jack but that didn't work either.
I was thinking that a dial up modem converts digital to anolog so I took a phone line from my RJ11 plug-in on my cable modem into the dial up modem on the computer(which I don't use anymore but didn't take it out of the computer). Then I took a phone line from my dial-up moden to the wall jack. That worked!!! When I sent a fax it got a dial tone and send the fax was sent successfully.
One more thing I thought of was since my phone was going through my computer now maybe my phone wouldn't work when the computer was shut off so I shut it down and tried the phone and it still worked. Looks like everything is up and going.

Old 09-19-08, 05:57 AM
J
Glad all is good to go---My last all-in-one HP had a modem-
It will fax ( stand alone ) on my broadband modem.The only
problem was ( single line telephone) I had to pull the phone
line & plug in the printer line--a splitter would not work. I
really poed-off the neighbors when I bought an Epson w/out
fax. Kinkos is 3 blocks down the street. I'm not running a business anymore--if you can't read it on an e-mail--TS.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: