Age Old Question

Old 10-14-08, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Age Old Question

Age Old Question Here. I know that this is going to stir up both Intel and AMD fans here. Ok now for the question. My current setup is a P4 2.53ghz machine. 1.5GB RAM, 160gb, and a 40gb hard drive. My board is slowly starting to go south, and by go south I mean, both my PS2 ports have died, my USB ports are starting to go flakey, and my onboard audio is dead, so time for a different board. I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ chip sitting that's not being used. What would be better. To find a board that will work with my current P4 or get a board that will work with my Athlon...I guess what I'm asking is which would be faster, the Athlon XP or the P4. The memory would of course transfer over, as would all of my PCI cards, and my AGP video card...Needless to say every single slot in my machine is occupied, and every single IDE port. Loaded machine...But yeah which would be faster, the Athlon XP 3000+ or my P4. Any input would be appreciated.

Cory

Last edited by crazycory22; 10-14-08 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Added something else that has died on the board
Old 10-15-08, 10:39 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honestly, you might as well just buy all new hardware. You can't buy motherboards for either of those chips anymore, they've been completely phased out and they are obsolete.

If you want something cheap, go pick up a Dell vostro with an Intel Core2 Duo and you're set. Make sure you get at least 3 gigs of RAM if you get Vista.

Old 10-15-08, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well, I"m not trying to contradict anyone, and I agree with the basic statement they are mostly obsolete.
But you can find MB's that will work at many PC shops, not new of course, but cheap cheap cheap.

I'm running an Athlon 2200 w/1.5 Gb memory and about 100 Gb of HD here on my garage PC and it does everything I need...mostly on here...lol. But I have a dual output video card so I can watch tv shows online on my 26" garage TV.

I sure wouldn't spend much trying to keep it running if it started to act hinky...but $20-25 for a MB wouldn't be unreasonable...as opposed to $300 or so for a new garage PC. which I'd then have to mess with to get back the way I wanted.

Old 10-15-08, 04:23 PM
R
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
If you want something cheap, go pick up a Dell vostro with an Intel Core2 Duo and you're set.
I bought my wife a Vostro laptop for her birthday last May. It's been a solid, reliable, fast machine. You can pick up a basic version for $300, but hers was $500 delivered because of the larger HD, better graphics card, more ram, and larger LCD. She loves it. It runs great with 2 gigs of ram on XP/SP3. I couldn't bring myself to buy the Mojave Experiment.

OTOH, I'm typing this on my trusty old Celeron 1.7gHz w/512 ram and XP/SP3. I upgraded the mobo, proc, and ram in 2003 for $80. The "screamer" at the time was the 2.7gHz.

The other machines are high-end loaded Core2's but they're for work. Average cost: $4,000, not including monitors or software. (Come to think of it, even they are a year out of date!)

Old 10-15-08, 07:07 PM
Funding isn't there for a brand new system, so I'm looking at buying a board...But i'm still wondering which is faster...the Athlon 3000+ or my P4 2.53...For the record, I spent most of my time on one of the original Dell Dimension 8100s P4 1.3Ghz...That thing was a trusty ole machine. Didn't like when you swapped hard drives though, took forever to auto configure the drives. Infact that thing is sitting in my closet getting ready to be built into a file server. My wife uses a P4 1.9Ghz. They all do fine for what we need. I just want to know which chip I should go with.

Old 10-16-08, 04:27 AM
R
I think you'll notice very little difference in speed between the two procs, but I recall reading that the AMD was a bit faster.

My approach would be to base it on which mobo you can get cheaper.

Old 10-16-08, 11:57 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go with the AMD, cooler and faster (even if ever so slightly). Be careful buying a used board, it may appear to be healthy at first glance, but some problems don't show up until certain conditions are met (ie, tempurature, power issues).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: