small screen projection

Old 10-17-08, 07:57 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
small screen projection

Why is it, that everytime I do something on this computer that causes a screen change, the new screen shows up not big enough to fill the monitor. I always have to manually increase the screen, to fill in around the edges.

I have asked this question before. I was told, and I can't remember forebatem, but it was to go to a place where I had the option to change the screen revolution or something like that. When I went to that area the last time I was instructed to fix the problem, I did all the right things pushed the all the right buttons, prest-o change-o, it worked.

But it only works for a little while, by a litle while I mean 5 maybe 6 screen changes then its back to the screen being smaller then it should, this really is a pain, is there a way to permanently fix this problem, seems I have the only computer that does this. Ha!

Old 10-17-08, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you tried to update the video drivers yet?

What make & model computer is this?

Old 10-17-08, 07:18 PM
M
Small picutes

Computer is a Dell Deminsion 4600.

Updating video drivers, is beyond my knowlege. So I am going to say no to that one.

Can't I just jiggle a tube or something.

Old 10-17-08, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Haha...I wish it were that easy

Here's the driver website for your model computer:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=

Now, you will have to determine what type of video card you got.

Do the following:

Click on START

Then click on CONTROL PANEL

Click on the DISPLAY icon

Then click on the SETTINGS tab.

Now, there should be a "display" box and usually it tells you what type of video processor you got, i.e. ATI 9000, 9800, etc.

Old 10-17-08, 08:41 PM
tae
try this:
Right click an empty space on your desktop. In the popup box is there the options of "Graphics Properties" and "Graphics Options"?
If there is, make sure the box that says "Full Screen (No Borders) is checked.

Old 10-17-08, 08:46 PM
M
drivers

The only thing I found was Ge Force FX5200

This does not sound like the couple of samples you gave me.

I also went to the driver section by way of the address you gave me, but did not know what to do when I was thee so now I am back here.

Did I do something wrong, or get the wrong infor,

If not what do I do with this information Ge Force 5200

Old 10-17-08, 08:55 PM
tae
http://support.dell.com/support/down...6&fileid=98537

Download

1. Click Download Now, to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In: window appears.
3. From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4. If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1. Double-click the new icon on the desktop. For example labeled R12345.EXE.
2. The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R12345.EXE. (Example path). Write down this path so the executable (Example - Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3. The Self-Extractor window appears.
4. Click OK.
5. After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it.
6. Click the Start button and then click Run.
7. Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R12345 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Old 10-17-08, 09:10 PM
M
I right clicked on desk top not sign of graphic this or graphic that, I knew that would have been just to easy, to have been the answer.

I am not going to regret anything by updating my drivers am I, don't get mad at me, just trying to save myself from my wifes, what did you do now stare.

Old 10-17-08, 09:21 PM
tae
well, its a computer. You may or may not regret it. It may or may not help. Looking back on alot of your posts, I will say that if I were you, I would wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install of windows. Should be fairly easy with a dell, as you should have all the drivers for it on disk. If that's not an option then do the driver upgrade and we can go from there.

To change your monitor’s resolution

1.Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
2.In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
3.Drag the Screen resolution slider to the left to decrease the resolution of your monitor, making text and pictures appear larger. Or drag the Screen resolution slider to the right to increase your monitor’s resolution, making text and pictures appear smaller.
4.Click Apply to have the new resolution take effect.
5.If the Monitor Settings dialog box appears, look at your display. If you like the new resolution, click Yes. If you do not like the resolution, click No, and return to step 3 to try a different resolution.
6.Click OK.
Microsoft Windows XP changes the resolution to the settings you chose.

After you do this, restart the computer, and then check the settings to make sure they stick.

Old 10-17-08, 09:39 PM
M
re boot windows

It has been said to me to reboot windows, I totally agree with all that has been told to me about it. My wife on the other hand, says that I am crazy to think that it would do any good. She then brings up the fact that her computers, she teaches computer application, at work have never been wiped clean and rebooted. To that I said, what the hell could I say, I know she does not know anything, that is why she teaches, the old addage, those who can do, those who can't teach, sure is true. In any case, I am not sure of my computer skills to re-install windows. I am sure I have the windows disc here along with a dozen more that came with the computer. Would have to read the book, before I could do this, and you know, of course, I would rather wait til the movie comes out.

I will try updating the drivers first.

I might know something, and then again I might not. Here me out. When reinstalling Window, in my case XP, I would only have to use the one windows disc right, I mean all the other discs that comes with you computer are just back up discs and would not all have to be downloaded, correct? I already forgot what I was talking about, its hell gettin' old.

Last edited by mowpar; 10-17-08 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-17-08, 10:11 PM
tae
If you wanted to format and reinstall everything it usually requires 2, maybe 3 disks from dell. The operating system, the drivers(video,lan,audio) and sometimes there is a separate monitor disk. Its actually pretty easy. You would want to back up anything important first, like pics, documents, email.And you can tell her that obviously she has been lucky enough to not have been infected with virus and stuff like you have.

Old 10-17-08, 10:31 PM
M
driver

When they do work at school, they mostly run through. "Word" and other areas like this they do not go on line, for anything. Once in a great while if they are good she will allow it. I figure that is why the computers there are not having any problems, they just are not out there where the viruses and what not are.

I have so many problems, I just now printed the instructions from you, about installing the drivers, and out pops a mini version of the type on the screen, its been doing that for awhile now. I have yet to get the fix on that problem. The other problem I have been having, is that I cannot explain what my problems are ,well enough to get the kind of direction I need.

You gave me directions on how to increase the size of type that I see on the screen. I did not mean to get this kind of help. What I wanted you know is that when ever my computer changes from one screen to another, it always show up smaller then the 17 inch screen I have. I then have to go up to the upper right hand corner and press the button to make the new screen big so that it fits completely withing the filed of the screen.

I have been given the directions to fix this problem, but have long forgot about how to do it. In any case that would be another problem that I am having. and that is when I went to that area to fix this problem, it only helps for maybe one or two screen changes then it goes back to the same thing.

I do not know how to save pics or email, and my wife has her side of the computer, that I cannot access, so I probably would not be able to save her stuff, because of the restricted access I don't know what say you.

Old 10-18-08, 12:12 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Let's make sure we're talking about the correct issue here.

A "Screen" is the entire viewable space that fills your monitor. A "Window" is something that appears on that space.

You can have only one screen, and you can have many windows open on it at the same time.

If you have no windows open, the menu bar at the bottom of the screen should span the entire viewable area. At the extreme bottom left there will be a green Start button, and at the extreme right the time should be displayed. Your program icons should be visible on the rest of the screen (called the "Desktop"). If that's the case, there is nothing wrong with your monitor or graphics card.

Now, if you double-click on one of the icons on the Desktop, it should open a window. If that window doesn't fill the screen, you should be able to click the box next to the red X in the upper right of the window to make it fill the screen.

If what I've written is correct, and you want those windows to open and fill the screen every time they open, post back and let us know.

Old 10-18-08, 07:05 AM
M
Windows

Yes, exactly.

I did not know that when you pushed something to get something else, it would be called a window.

I thought it would be just like turning a page, and in turning pages that is what I want to look at, without having to always go to the red box area to fill the screen.

It would not be to bad, except for the fact, that when I do open another page, sometimes the two screens match, pretty closely. Therefore when I go to the right side of the screen to shift screen up or down, what I am actually doing is activating the screen underneath and what I am looking at disappears.

As I have said before, I have been directed to a place on the computer that enables me to go from window to another with full screen coverage, and it works great, but only for maybe 5 or 6 times then its back to the same thing.

Old 10-18-08, 07:50 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That bar at the bottom of the screen, called the "Taskbar," will have mini-tabs for each of the windows you have open. Clicking on one of those will bring its associated window to the foreground. Right-clicking on that tab will bring up a small menu. Choose "Maximize", "Minimize", or "Restore" to change the size of the window or hide it from view on the desktop. If you hide it, clicking again on the mini-tab will allow it to show.

When you resize a window, its size and position are usually remembered for the next time you open it.

Now right-click on any of the icons on your desktop. Click on "Properties". See the drop-down next to "Run"? Change it from "Normal Window" to "Maximized" and click "Apply".

See if that helps.

Old 10-18-08, 11:37 AM
M
there is no drop down next to run, matter of factly there is no run. It seems as though I am running on a totally different path then you guys.

Old 10-18-08, 12:15 PM
tae
right click an icon, select properties, and the box that pops up should have tabs at the top like "general" "shortcut" "compatibility". click on the shortcut tab. If you dont have that, then you either have an antivirus/antispyware blocking what you are doing, something wrong with your computer,or you may just not have the authority (administrator) to do changes

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: