Drive Image Software

Old 10-20-08, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drive Image Software

What would you recommend for drive image software?

Currently I have Norton Ghost 2003. One option was that you could create a bootable floppy or cd. Once you have done so, then you can place that floppy or cd in any computer and create your image on to a dvds or cds. The option when creating also allowed you to place the boot on the dvd or cd where you created the image.

This worked very well for pc and the older linux os using ext2. The problem I face is that the newer linux os uses ext3. Creating an image for Microsoft OS's are no problem.

Do you know of any software that works the same way as Norton Ghost 2003? I have checked out Acronis and the latest Norton Ghost 14 as well as G4L (Ghost for Linux). The problem with G4L is that it doesn't support DVD or CD images. It will only backup your drive to another (external device) or to a network drive. All don't seem to have the option of doing the same as Norton's Ghost 2003.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-08, 05:31 PM
www.terabyteunlimited.com?
might do what you want, maybe not. see their FAQ or something

Old 10-20-08, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by jb_freebsd View Post
www.terabyteunlimited.com?
might do what you want, maybe not. see their FAQ or something
I did try the Linux (trial) version from Terabyte and it did do an image of my Linux OS. It also placed the boot (recover) program on the DVD which is a bonus. Now when I took that image and put in on another drive, the Terabyte software did the recovery. The problem happened during the boot process. It couldn't find the root partition, yet when you view the image, it shows you the swap and root partitions. Tried a FSCK (file system check) and it just came up with errors.

I will say, that if it did work, I would purchase the program.
We are getting closer.

Thanks for your input. Any others would be appreciated.

Old 10-27-08, 05:25 PM
For those who are looking for software to image their Linux or Windows drive, I have found one that does work.

Terabyte Unlimited has great support and the product works well. Check them out at:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

Now the problem I had when I tried their software, was that the partitions on my drive were set by-id instead of by-uuid.

By-id is set to the current drive only where as by-uuid just sets the device. That allows you to restore your image to another drive should your original drive pack it in. Thanks to the support team at Terabyte Unlimited who quickly ironed out
my problem while trying out their trial version.

Notes on how to make changes to your Linux version was found on the web if you google by-id vs by-uuid.

Hope this helps anyone else who may encounter the same problem.