DVD/CR-RW drive only reads movie DVDs, not data CDs?

Old 10-23-08, 06:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DVD/CR-RW drive only reads movie DVDs, not data CDs?

I have a Gateway laptop running Vista with a DVD-CD-RW drive that has stopped reading data CDRs, it doesn't recognize them. It reads and plays DVD movies without problem. I attempted to update the driver but Windows tells me it is the latest and greatest. The device manager lists the drive as HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20F ATA Device and Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives). Device Manager says it's functioning properly. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-08, 07:27 AM
T
Try uninstalling it from device manager and reboot. If that doesn't fix it, are there any programs you've installed recently (namely cd/dvd burning programs). If not you may have a faulty dvd drive.

Old 10-23-08, 10:27 AM
Try a drive cleaner. You will find it at Office Depot, Stapples, etc.
It is a CD with a "brush"--> when you "play" it, it cleans physically the drive

Old 10-23-08, 08:00 PM
tae
As I'm sure you are aware from other sites you posted to, this is a troubled drive. Reinstall the drive. May help, may not.

Step 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Nero or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 Delete Filter Drivers

======================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Step 3 Reinstall the DVDROM

======================

1. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click the DVDROM and click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer.