adding another cat 5 jack to the existing line

Old 10-23-08, 07:54 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding another cat 5 jack to the existing line

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a cat 5 jack in a room upstairs that runs downstairs to my router. The jack is on the right side of my room, we want to move the computer to the other side of the room. I really don't want to run a long cat 5 wire from the jack to the computer. I would like to make it professional like the jack is now, in the wall. I would like to jump the cat 5 wire off the existing jack to the new one at the other end of the room. I won't obviously have both jacks being used at the same time. Can this be done? I was think that if I pushed the wires as they are now into each slot then it would work as an exention, then I would have new jack at the other end. If anyone has insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-24-08, 03:25 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's never a good idea to piggy-back a second set of wires on an Insulation Displacement Connector (IDC). The reason is, the channels expand slightly when the first set of wires is punched down. A second set won't seat properly to make a solid contact with the connector.

(If the existing line runs to the attic, is there a chance you can pull it up and run it down the opposite wall?)

Rather than splicing, remove the existing jack and put an RJ45 connector on the cable. Put an RJ45 on the new cable. Label the two cables with a P-Touch or Sharpie ("From router" and "To Opposite Wall"). Use a coupler to join them. Put the old jack in the new location and connect the new line to it. Put a blank cover over the old box.

While it's also not a good idea to splice ethernet cables, there are times when there is no other way. If you must splice, use B-connectors and keep the twisted pairs intact to within 1/2" of the splice.

Old 10-25-08, 03:10 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rick is right on the money here. Even if you did manage to get a good connection on the IDC, having two jacks available on the same CAT5 line is a recipe for disaster.

Take the time to fix it properly and you'll never go wrong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: