Vista 64-bit

Old 10-28-08, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 64-bit

I have had Vista os at work for 8 months now no big problems, I even like it. So I wasn't afriad to buy a new laptop with Vista. I purchased a HP latop 1 week ago and I have learned that there is 2 platforms 32-bit and 64-bit. And 64-bit is not standard platform (advanced) which is what I have. I am finding I am having problems installing drivers and some software. My sercuity program is not 64-bit compitable and my Targus cordless mouse needs to be installed every time I turn on and doesn't work to its full capacity. I can't install my epson printer, no 64-bit driver and more! Is there work arounds for this 64-bit version or should I break down and return this and get one with 32-bit. I am concerned with all my personal info already on the HD. I tried a lot of these items on my 32-bit at work and there work fine!
To ma it seems if you plan on using existing software/hardware stay awy from 64-bit!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Paul A

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-08, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
99% of all home OS's are 32bit, so I would return it.

Old 10-28-08, 07:37 PM
I have tried the 64 bit version of Vista and had the same problems. Switched over to a Mac which is 64 bit and it works great. You can also run XP or Vista on the Mac either in virtual or native mode. Also, some 64 bit Linux platforms works well like the openSuSE ver. 11 (free). Lots of apps and all my hardware devices work ok.

Old 10-28-08, 07:42 PM
I have 64 bit Vista...
I lost almost all my programs............
but, Willie copied so many of them---I have learned to live w/ it.
In your case---still working---dump it for 32 bit...............

Old 10-31-08, 05:06 AM
Why do we need 64 bit

I have 64 bit Vista and I have had this problem of old programs not working on 64. The biggest problem for me is VPN client app from Cisco. Cisco says they do not have a version of 64 bit and they do not plan to have one in near future. Looking at tons of issues with 64, I wonder why do we have 64 bit version in first place.

Old 10-31-08, 04:10 PM
I did it, I returned it and got one with 32-bit so happy I did things are working so much better!!!!