Windows Media Player Glitch??

Old 11-01-08, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Windows Media Player Glitch??

Hello,
I have a Dell dimension 4600 running XP. I haven't been able to get my windows media player to run at all. I am trying to uninstall it and reinstall it right from microsoft's website but it won't let me. It says something about rolling it back. How can I delete it?? I did insert my XP cd to reinstall the player. I got that to work, it installed then the box opened so I could pick my own installation options, and I clicked finished. Next thing it shows is INTERNAL ERROR has occured and thats it. What can I do?? I really don't wanna format my hard drive. I have over 2k pics on here among other things I would have to save. Help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-08, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diyplank View Post
Hello,
I have a Dell dimension 4600 running XP. I haven't been able to get my windows media player to run at all. I am trying to uninstall it and reinstall it right from microsoft's website but it won't let me. It says something about rolling it back. How can I delete it?? I did insert my XP cd to reinstall the player. I got that to work, it installed then the box opened so I could pick my own installation options, and I clicked finished. Next thing it shows is INTERNAL ERROR has occured and thats it. What can I do?? I really don't wanna format my hard drive. I have over 2k pics on here among other things I would have to save. Help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
try to uninstall from control panel--delete program.
If that doesn't work---go --start--search-files/folders--type
windows media player & delete manually.
Reinstall program...................

Old 11-02-08, 03:57 PM
Well that would be great but when I click on search from the start button nothing shows up. Only that dog. There are no bars where you can type anything in. I don't know what I did, but when I cleaned out my computer about 2 months ago some stuff don't work. I didn't delete anything important, just programs!! Its weird. I was in the windows media player file. I went to delete the file but it said are you sure you wanna do this, some programs use this and may not function properly! Should I delete it?? Let me know.

Old 11-02-08, 04:41 PM
Yes delete it---when you are done--remove pics & other things you want to save &
reformat your Hard Drive........................

Old 11-02-08, 07:41 PM
Ok I will be debating on what to do. I have over 1500 songs on here, 1000+ pics. How can I make a data disc?? That way I can get more stuff on each disc. Will dvdrw's work? I have a DVD+RW drive. I should just hire someone to fix this. I have been wanting to buy a new computer but just don't wanna spend the money. There isn't really anything wrong with this one. I also am having trouble burning music. I don't know if they are protected some how by a copyright or what? Well thanks for the help!!
Chris

Old 11-02-08, 08:50 PM
You can get 4.7 gb on a dvd---ck & see if you want to DIY..........
If so-----------take a trial download of Cyberlink DVD Suite 6 ( a good burning program )
easy to use......
Have fun............................

Old 11-05-08, 07:36 PM
I believe you can reinstall your windows os without formatting the drive. I think if I remember you put in the install disk and there should be an option for a reinstall (might be the second screen). Either way, backup your data files in case things go south. I believe Windows Media Player is integrated into the OS and that is why it is difficult to repair. There are other media players you could use in place of it as an alternative to all this extra angst. Good luck with it all !

Old 11-06-08, 04:34 AM
I know, but internet explorer, the calculator, the search part also don't work, among other things. I have been wanting to buy and external drive to put all my pics and music on. I have been wanting a new computer and this is gonna be just as good and I don't have to spend the money. Thanks

Old 11-06-08, 02:26 PM
Check out the Seagate FreeAgent USB Desk drives. Highly recommended, and priced right.

Hmmm ... a quick search just turned up pricing around $100 for a 500-gig -- the smallest they make according to their website. I paid around $60 for my 360.

Old 11-06-08, 06:49 PM
I am looking at Western. They have them at Circuit City. I have been reading reviews and what not. I have found some on Circuit City's website that are priced in my range. I found a 500GB for around 80 bucks. I know I will never fill that but I do have around 2k pics and 1300 songs. If I can just store them on the external drive that will speed my computer up a lot. I still wanna buy a new one but I have to upgrade my sewer pipes b/c of the whole Chesapeake water shed upgrade!! I understand why they are doing it, but its 5k-8k that I already don't have!! HE HE Thanks everyone!!
Check out my post in automotive for auto detailing!! Lets keep it going. Ask questions!!

Old 11-08-08, 08:34 AM
It worked

Well, I went to circuit city bought a 320gb external hard drive. I saved everything I had on my computer and formated my computers hard drive and reinstalled windows. It is working great!! Thanks for all the help.
Chris

Old 11-09-08, 07:48 AM
Nicely done! I have to do that with my machines about once a year. It's amazing how much junk accumulates ... downloaded programs that I used once or never used, dormant Windows updates, a bloated registry, "funnies" that were e-mailed and saved, never be be viewed again ...

Old 11-09-08, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Nicely done! I have to do that with my machines about once a year. It's amazing how much junk accumulates ... downloaded programs that I used once or never used, dormant Windows updates, a bloated registry, "funnies" that were e-mailed and saved, never be be viewed again ...
Thanks for confirming what I though was like an annual oil change. I go through this like every 12-14 months. You're right, it's amazing how much gunk you collect without really thinking about it.