External Hard Drive and software question

Old 11-09-08, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
External Hard Drive and software question

I was wondering if I could download a game and save it to my external hard drive and play it from the external hard drive?? Is this possible?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-08, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can, but the external harddrive most likely needs to be connected to the computer it was installed on.

When installing, some software programs make windows registry and driver updates on the same machine, and if you try to use that program on another machine, it may not open.

You can try it though. I've had some run on different computers fine, other's not so good.

Old 11-11-08, 05:46 PM
Yes you can, you can only play it on the computer it was installed on, and you may have performance issues as external drives have lower transfer rates than your internal drive. Unles you have space issues your better off using the internal drive.

Old 11-11-08, 08:26 PM
I ended up saving the game to my computers hd. It is a 1.3gb game, which I know there are bigger ones out there, I just didn't wanna slow my comp. down after I did all that cleaning out, reformatting the drive and what not. Thanks for the advice though!!
Chris

Old 11-12-08, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by diyplank View Post
I ended up saving the game to my computers hd. It is a 1.3gb game, which I know there are bigger ones out there, I just didn't wanna slow my comp. down after I did all that cleaning out, reformatting the drive and what not. Thanks for the advice though!!
Chris
Having a game or anything else loaded on your computer is not going to slow it down unless your hard drive is getting full, just having data on the hard drive won't affect it.

Old 11-12-08, 05:23 PM
Data is one type of file. It is mostly dormant and is accessed only when used. Pictures, music, word documents, and most other files that you create are dormant until used.

Programs, on the other hand, can affect the speed of the computer. The trendy thing for programs to do these days is to pre-load some of their files into ram when you boot up so they launch faster when you need them (and so they can slow down your internet connection by constantly checking for updates). That ram is no longer available for programs you want to run, so those little-used programs can add up and slow down the works. Especially if you're a gamer. Games like lots of ram.

Usually a small icon is displayed for each program in the Notification area of the Taskbar (lower right next to the clock).

Typical icons you might see include the printer, QuickTime, Flash, Java, Acrobat, Windows Update, Windows Messenger, Yahoo Chat, AOL, and many more. All of them can be told not to start when you boot.

The only drawback -- if it matters -- is that each may take 4 seconds to launch a screen instead of 2.

Right-click on those icons and see if the Preferences will allow you to tell them not to start on bootup.

Go to Start/All Programs/Startup and delete everything you see there. (All you're doing is deleting the program quick-start files from Windows' bootup instructions. No damage will be done to your programs.)

There is also a way to stop unnecessary annoyances and programs from starting using msconfig. It requires a bit of work on your part, because every computer is configured differently. Post back if you want more info.

Old 11-12-08, 07:27 PM
That is some confusing stuff. I have heard that before about the start up section. I did delete the things that were in there back when I first installed everything back into the computer. I also heard that icons near the clock and on the desktop also cause the computer to be slow. Is this true?? I have very few icons on the desktop and near the clock.