monitor size

Old 11-09-08, 05:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
monitor size

I am finally about ready to move to a new computer. Pretty much decided on a Dell 530 series. We only use it for E-Mails, reading online newspapers, etc. Also play a few low tech games such as Chuzzle, Bejewled and some Slots. Nothing too exciting, just like me I guess.

My question is about monitor size. Is there a real improvement in screen look and visibility when you move up in size? Or do you sacrifice picture quality as you go bigger? 17 inch widescreen seems to be the standard but is there a better look on the 19 or even the 22 inch? With the prices coming down on the monitors larger sizes are pretty affordable. I just don't want to get one that is too big.

Any comments for those of you who have gone for the larger size screens would be appreciated. Thanks...

Old 11-09-08, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh yea, bigger IS better.

You do not lose quality. I say get a minimum of 19", your eyes will like you more.

Old 11-09-08, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
I just went up to a 22" widescreen and WOW, what a difference! I debated the same thing and I'm so glad I got the larger size.
I don't even think a 24" is too big, as long as you have the room.

Old 11-09-08, 09:05 PM
J
this post is inexact, notes are put away in stacks of paper, (not, found
the info in google's cache. )
i have largish high quality CRT (heavy but usable, secondhand 21" 50$ or so)
a short list of buyable LCD:
... w2207h, or even w2207
... acer al2216 (200-300) (the best of the few i've seen less than $300)
... fp241vw is supposed to be a nice quality 24" on sale this month or so for 450 if
the right coupon codes are found. However, looking at at the 2216 above, I could
not easily see a reason to go to a larger size

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 12-04-08 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Restored original, mistakenly thought to be a classified ad.
Old 11-10-08, 08:44 AM
T
You can get a 22" lcd these days for $180 or less, don't go any smaller unless you can't afford it, you'll love it.

Old 11-11-08, 04:35 AM
J
Originally Posted by jb_freebsd View Post
jb, I removed your post because classified ads are not allowed.
-- RJ
sorry! I remember mentioning 3 models and 1 store...
and the fact that I still get by fine with a CRT. If the
amount I purchased the CRT for was construed as an
ad, I can remention the 3 LCD models...
btw I have 2 CRT so that keeps me from buying a
LCD as a 2nd one.

Old 12-03-08, 08:46 AM
J
Just an update on this subject.... I did go with a 22" widescreen and have mixed feelings about it. The new flatscreen give some of the sharpest and best pictures that I have ever seen.

Now for the downside... and I admit some of this may be because I have not found all the proper things to do.

For a large screen it has some of the smallest type size on most web pages that I have ever seen. I know about the "Zoom Level" in the lower right hand side of the screen. But when I use it often times the print overruns other print or pictures, etc. I have also adjusted the "Text Size" on the page icon in I.E. but often it seems to only change some of the type on a web page. Also many of the pages seem to use a kind of washed out blue color in their type that is not easy on the eyes.
Also the widescreen format seems to kind of squish the page down from the top and bottom on many pages. It may be that it is just the way it will have to be. Something new I will have to adjust to.

Just as a point of info I have the Windows Vista Home Basic with the new Internet Explorer as my system.

Old 12-03-08, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
Click on "Page" at the upper right side of your browser, and you'll see "Text Size", scroll down to that and pick a larger size and see if that helps.

Old 12-03-08, 12:48 PM
R
When purchasing a monitor, take in to consideration the following:

Check and see what maximum resolution your monitor puts out as well as the frequency. Your video card might only display up to a certain resolution and frequency.
Example 1600x1200 @ 120hz or 1920x1400 @ 60hz.

Look at the dot pitch of the monitor that you are looking at as well. The lower the number, the better it is.
Example: 1600x1200 @ 120hz with dot pitch size of 0.18 is better than 1600x1200 @ 120hz with a dot pitch size of 0.25

Bottom line is, the faster refresh rate (Hz) at the maximum screen resolution with a small dot pitch size would be what I consider a great monitor to get.

Old 12-03-08, 10:33 PM
J
if you use the free Opera browser, you can click on the plus sign on the right
to instantly increase the page/font zoom; in the free Firefox or Seamonkey that
would be cntl-+. Every other site I browse to I use that/those keys

Old 12-03-08, 11:29 PM
J
@jtn1234
Have you played w/ your PC resolutiom---try different settings---you may like
some other one better............
Right click desktop---left click personalize--click display settings--try all the different
settings......
Have fun......................

Old 12-04-08, 05:31 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jb_freebsd View Post
sorry! I remember mentioning 3 models and 1 store...
I'm the one who's sorry. My bad. The original post has been restored. Thanks for letting me know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: