No Display at Bootup

Old 11-19-08, 12:38 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Display at Bootup

I have an old Lenovo Thinkpad 770x that boots without the screen display. By accident, I discovered that if I wait until Windows (Win 98 SE) loads and slightly close the lid, the screen powers up. This action would normally put the computer into standby mode but I disabled that as well as all other 'power save' items since I primarily use the laptop with the AC adaptor (the old battery is a bit iffy).

The Thinkpad Configuration routine & BIOS both report no hardware or memory problems after full tests. I have defragged the HD, run virus and malware scans -- all clean.

Googling the symtoms produced a few hits regarding reseating the display connector but that only seemed to work for people who could get NO display at any time.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-19-08, 09:19 PM
R
Try booting in safe mode or VGA mode to see if you get display or not. Perhaps it is a driver issue.

Old 11-20-08, 04:19 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Didn't that notebook have a short ribbon cable? It's not really a cable -- it's a phenolic connector similar to a thin circuit board. They do crack over time. Apply slight pressure to it to see if you get a signal. If so, you can't do much with it except replace it. Sometimes a piece of tape around it will help, but not for long.

Old 11-20-08, 07:57 AM
E
Yup, I tried Safe Mode and drivers updates. Also wiggled & jiggled everything but no improvement.

The screen behaves like it is in Standby when the computer boots. Partially closing the lid (activates a switch under a hinge) wakes it up & from that point it functions normally.

Old 11-21-08, 04:04 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I wonder if a setting somehow got changed that defaults the screen to the external VGA connector? Can't remember if that machine had a Function/VGA output switch on the keyboard. If not, look in the video card's settings.

Old 11-21-08, 10:34 AM
E
That sounds promising. I'll have a look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: