Can't Get Max Resolution On 2nd Monitor

Old 11-20-08, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't Get Max Resolution On 2nd Monitor

After installing a 2nd monitor (1 - Samsung 245BW 2- Samsung 2443BW), the option for the optimum resolution does not show up in the Multiple Monitors setup area. Both monitors are capable of 1920 x 1200 & indeed the first one can be set to that number but the 2nd monitor only offers 1680 x 1050 as a maximum.

Samsung support told me that this is a function of my video card (nVidia GeForce 8600 GT) but that too says it can support higher than 1920 x 1200.

The only thing I can think of is that the card only has VGA outputs (no DVI). Would this affect the resolution setting availabilities?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-08, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try setting your second monitor to 75-85mhz.

Old 11-20-08, 05:37 PM
All I have listed for refresh rate is 60 mhz.

Old 11-20-08, 07:07 PM
Have you loaded the drivers for the monitor?

Old 11-21-08, 11:29 AM
Yes, I loaded the one that came with the monitor & also found a newer one on the net. Both produce the same results.

Old 11-21-08, 01:40 PM
I'm guessing it's a hardware limitation.

Old 11-22-08, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I thought the same thing so today I picked up a new card with DVI outs. Unfortunately, it requires at least a 350 watt power supply so I'll have to upgrade my default 250 w before I can find out if it makes a difference.

I was wondering though, since the new card has 1 GB onboard, will this affect the performance of my Vista Home Premium (32 bit with 3 GB) ram? I read somewhere that maximum ram is 4 GB minus video allocation or something like that.

(This is my video editing setup so perhaps Rick would know?)

Old 11-23-08, 04:32 PM
OK, here's an update: after running Belarc Advisor, I found that my second monitor is being identified as a 21" instead of a 24".

The first monitor, a Samsung Syncmaster 245BW, shows as a SyncMaster 2443BW. The second monitor, a Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW shows as a Generic PnP Monitor, even after uninstalling the generic driver & installing the latest SyncMaster 2443BW driver.

I'm confused as to who/what is at fault here -- is this a Windows Vista Home Premium thing or a Samsung problem?

Old 11-23-08, 04:44 PM
It's easier to blame Vista.......

Old 11-23-08, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I know but I'd really like to have something to say to the phone support geek at Samsung/Microsoft/NVidia.

Old 11-24-08, 07:28 AM
It's probably an NVidia thing. I had the same problem when I put it on my work PC. There was a checkbox buried somewhere in the software that I could tell it *not* to detect the monitor and let me specify. Depending on your software, you may or may not have that.

Old 11-24-08, 07:48 AM
Which software? Vista? I did the Device Manager scan for new hardware & used the 'Browse in specific location' to load the latest Samsung driver.

Old 11-24-08, 05:20 PM
Another update -- I uninstalled both monitors and all drivers, plugged the 2443BW into the DVI connector & rebooted, expecting to see Windows install it with a generic PnP driver. This didn't happen. I got an error message on the monitor saying the analog cable had a fault.

After spending 90 minutes on the phone with 3 levels of Samsung Support (the lowest level person kept telling me that the reason the 'TV' wasn't functioning was because I hadn't set the proper resolution ...SHEESH!!!), the top guy finally told me I have a defective DVI port on the monitor & should return it to the point of purchase for a refund.

Thanks for all the help anyway :-)

Old 11-26-08, 06:55 AM
(looks like I'm talking to myself here but what else is new ;-)

Another update: I exchanged the 2443BW for another one off the shelf at Future Shop, took it home ... no display!

When I took this one back, I asked the geek in their repair shop to tell me if I'm crazy or not. He tested the monitor on 2 or 3 computers but couldn't get it to work either. Like Samsung Support, he said it was very unusual to find 2 defective units in a row.

Buyer beware - there are still 4 more sitting on the shelf.

(No, I didn't take another one ;-)

Old 11-26-08, 10:13 AM
Bad luck, I guess... I have dual Samsung 2220wm's here, and love them. I do wish I would have upped to 24", but that was over a year ago.

Also note, that 1GB card is not really needed unless you are working in 3D. A 2D desktop at 32bit 1680x1050 only consumes 7MB of video memory. High memory count on a video card only helps during 3D rendering, or 3D gaming.

I sounds like you have returned the monitor(s), but for reference... it might help to select the correct resolution if we right-click on the desktop and select "Personalize", select "Display Settings" from the options, we get to the monitor display settings. Click the monitor you wish to adjust, then click "advanced settings...". On the monitor tab, we can uncheck "hide modes that this monitor can not display". Hit OK, and then we get a much wider selection of resolutions to choose from. Be careful though, it might damage our monitor if we select a refresh rate/resolution the monitor doesn't support.

Old 11-26-08, 12:37 PM
"Also note, that 1GB card is not really needed unless you are working in 3D."

What about DV editing? Wouldn't a bigger (more onboard memory) card be better?

Regarding the 'Personalize' routine ... yes, I did all that on the first monitor when I had it connected to the D-sub/VGA output of my video card. The highest option allowed was 1680 x 1050. That's why I made it the sole, default monitor on the DVI output ... to see if the optimum resolution was limited by the VGA hookup. It was at that point that there was NO video display. The replacement unit I tried yesterday had NO video display on BOTH the DVI and VGA outputs so it was not possible to access resolution settings.

Old 11-26-08, 02:28 PM
Mostly, basic DV editing will not use video memory at all. It is processor and memory intensive work for sure, but not GPU intensive. I'd much rather spend the money on a quad core processor than 1GB of video memory...

Of course, things are changing now with initiatives like CUDA that are moving some functions off to the GPU, but implementation in NLEs at this point in time is either non existant, beta quality, or severely limited in scope.

Some filters and effects packages can and do make use of 3D processing power, so you would definitely see improvement if using such software. Best to check with the software vendor if GPU processing is supported.

Last edited by JoeTheZombie; 11-26-08 at 03:34 PM.