network

Old 11-23-08, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
network

Why is it my desktop PC (named Webster) shows up in this map, as shown here in the first snip, but does not appear in the second snip? Steve PC is the laptop I'm viewing this on.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does webster have any shared resources?

Old 11-24-08, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by JoeTheZombie View Post
Does webster have any shared resources?
If by shared resources you mean shared folders or files, then yes. Otherwise I guess I'm not sure what you mean by shared resources.

Old 11-24-08, 08:04 PM
Yes that is what I mean. Can you access these shares using the command line?

Old 11-24-08, 08:10 PM
Yes that is what I mean. Can you access these shares using the command line?
From the laptop machine (named steve-pc) what/how do I type in the command prompt to find out whether I can access the shared folders from the desktop machine (named webster)?

Old 11-24-08, 08:13 PM
Is WEBSTER a vista machine?

Click start/orb type in \\WEBSTER in the find box and hit enter.

Old 11-24-08, 08:24 PM
Is WEBSTER a vista machine?

Click start/orb type in \\WEBSTER in the find box and hit enter.
Webster is a vista machine. When I type in \\WEBSTER in the start search box (not find as you suggested because there isnt a find box that I know of) and hit enter I get the following message: "Network error. Windows cannot access \\WEBSTER please check spelling or maybe a network problem... etc. click button to diagnose, etc. "

Old 11-24-08, 08:31 PM
Yes, I mean the search box.

Try using the IP address of WEBSTER, ie, \\192.168.10.3\ (of course, replace your real IP address for WEBSTER)

Old 11-25-08, 09:25 AM
Try using the IP address of WEBSTER, ie, \\192.168.10.3\ (of course, replace your real IP address for WEBSTER)
When I type the IP address of the xp machine named WEBSTER into the search box of the vista machine named Steve-pc (with two forward forward slashes preceding the number string as above but without the slash at the end) I get the same network error message again as I previously mentioned in this thread as when I typed \\WEBSTER into the search box of the vista machine.

Additional note for absolute clarification as we may proceed: WEBSTER is an xp machine, Steve-pc is a vista machine.

Old 11-25-08, 06:29 PM
We call those "backslashes" as they appear to be falling over backwards. Anyway, open a command prompt on Steve-PC and type PING 192.168.10.3 (your real IP address of course) and hit enter. If you don't see any packets returned, then you generally have a firewall or subnet problem.

Make sure you turn off all firewalls and security suites temporarily while we sort things out. Double check IP addresses/gateways and workgroups.

DId this network work previously, or are you just trying to set it up? Is this DHCP or statically assigned?

Old 11-25-08, 07:18 PM
open a command prompt on Steve-PC and type PING 192.168.10.3 (your real IP address of course) and hit enter. If you don't see any packets returned, then you generally have a firewall or subnet problem.Make sure you turn off all firewalls and security suites temporarily while we sort things out. Double check IP addresses/gateways and workgroups.DId this network work previously, or are you just trying to set it up? Is this DHCP or statically assigned?
I tried pinging WEBSTER IP address from Steve-pc and did not get any packets returned. I can try turning off firewalls temporarily to see whether that helps. In answer to your question, yes, this network worked previously.
Questions:
1. How do I check (to doublecheck) IP address/gateways and workgroups?
2. I can turn off firewalls temporarily but not sure what you mean be turning off security suites. I have Trend Micro Internet Security program installed on both machines, and am using the firewall as provided with that program on both machiines. What do you mean by temporarily turn off security suites?
3. What is it you are asking whether it is DHCP or statically assigned? How would I find out, so I can let you know.

Old 11-25-08, 07:58 PM
Most security suites (like Norton) have a packet filtering capability that can interfere with network connectivity, so I recommend temporarily shutting them down when experiencing network problems.

DHCP means your computers get their IP addresses from the router. Static means you set the IP address manually from the TCP/IP options in the network card's properties.

Make sure both computers are of the same workgroup. For vista, this is Control Panel -> System Maintenance -> System. Check "Workgroup" setting. For XP, this is right-click on My Computer, select Properties, then click the "computer name" tab. Check the "Workgroup" setting.

For both machines, open up a command prompt and type in IPCONFIG and hit enter. Find your network adapter and check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and default gateway.

The subnet mask and default gateway should match. The IP address should be very similar such as 192.168.10.x, where only the last octet is different.

Old 11-25-08, 08:53 PM
Checked both machines workgroup setting per suggested method, and found both with workgroup identified as HOME.
Did IPCONFIG on both machines and found subnet mask and default gateway to match, while IP address also matched except for last octet.
Haven't yet tried shutting down firewalls and/or security suites. Still unclear of method by which I am able to determine whether either computer gets its IP address assigned either statically or via DHCP.

Old 11-25-08, 09:44 PM
Sorry... type IPCONFIG /ALL at the command prompt and under your network adapter look at "DHCP enabled". But really first thing to check would be to shut off firewalls/security suites.

Old 11-26-08, 01:17 AM
type IPCONFIG /ALL at the command prompt and under your network adapter look at "DHCP enabled". But really first thing to check would be to shut off firewalls/security suites.
After typing IPCONFIG/all at command prompt in both machines, under network adapter at DHCP enabled it says Yes with each machine.
I shut off the firewall(s) of each machine, then saw that WEBSTER was appearing in the Network window as it was NOT before (second snip in first post of this thread). Also, with firewalls turned off I am able to access shared folders from WEBSTER to Steve-pc, and vice-versa.
As you suggested, my issue points to a firewall setting problem. As I mentioned, the network did work previously, and as well I was able to share files between these machines. Also previously, I was able to share files between these machines with this network with the firewalls turned on. The firewall settings have quite apparently been inadvertantly changed which has caused the issue, likely just some basic relatively simple change of "profile" or something like that, but I don't know enough or really understand about the settings to know how to change them back properly to allow the sharing between the machines with the firewall(s) turned on.
Please advise further, thank you.

Old 11-26-08, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with the Trend Micro product. Generally speaking, most firewalls have a "zones" type architecture and you'd want to make sure your private IP block (192.168.10.0 - 192.168.10.255, but replace with your real IP block) is in a trusted zone, where the firewall won't impact those particular packets.

Old 11-26-08, 06:26 PM
Tech support at Trend Micro worked me through checking of the firewall settings, and it seems we were able to get issue resolved. Evidently some netbios firewall settings that should have been "triggered" during one of the program's recent software updates apparently became un-triggered, was the explanation. After unchecking some checkboxes within the advanced settings of the protocol control (I think it was) both machines can now recognize and share eachother's shared resources now again.
Thanks a bunch Zombie for directing me toward looking at the firewall(s) as the likely source of my problem. I was otherwise clueless (obviously). Dang firewalls anyway.