need help regarding OS

Old 11-24-08, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question need help regarding OS

1. I plan on buying a new computer very soon. Vista is the only OS they come with these days. Can I pass on installng Vista and instead install a full version of XP Home?

2. I could go on and on about the problems I am having with my desktop, but maybe someone can answer this for me. I have been unable to access the internet since I did a standard system recovery the other day. However, my husband can click on a desktop shortcut to an online poker site and and play. The site doesn't open in the tradtional IE window. How is it he can connect and I can't?

3. How do you determine if you have a bad hard drive vs a bad motherboard?

4. This is an Compaq 6350us computer.

Thanks for any info you can pass on to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by erica View Post
1. I plan on buying a new computer very soon. Vista is the only OS they come with these days. Can I pass on installng Vista and instead install a full version of XP Home?
Yes you can install any OS on your new computer. As all new PC computers come with Vista, sometimes you can request to have XP Pro instead of Vista. You may have to pay a couple more dollars for XP Pro. If not, and you have XP Home at home, then you can format the drive and install XP Home Edition.

2. I could go on and on about the problems I am having with my desktop, but maybe someone can answer this for me. I have been unable to access the internet since I did a standard system recovery the other day. However, my husband can click on a desktop shortcut to an online poker site and and play. The site doesn't open in the tradtional IE window. How is it he can connect and I can't?
Internet Explorer is a seperate program that is integrated into the regular windows. If you open up say My Computer, and type in a web address, it will react the same as if you opened up Internet Explorer. The difference is that of options in Internet Explorer. You can see the difference when you look under Tools.

3. How do you determine if you have a bad hard drive vs a bad motherboard?
You can do various tests to see if your hard drive is pooched or not by running diagnostics and seeing if it has errors. Perhaps it is the ribbon cable causing errors. There are many other tests that can be done as well. If you have a bad motherboard, then various symptoms could happen like no display (bad ram for example), discolored components (over heated - fan not working). Again there are many areas to check to see if your motherboard has a problem.

4. This is an Compaq 6350us computer.

Thanks for any info you can pass on to me.

Old 11-25-08, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the info. As far as the OS....that is what I wanted to hear. I actually went out and bought XP Home, the full version, yesterday. It is getting hard to find it so I thought I should pick it up while I could. It is not even listed on the CC or BB sites. Staples had 2 of them in store, so I jumped on it. I am hoping to have my brother rebuild the old computer once the new one is up and running. Compaq told me that I could use my installation disks for a FULL recovery which would bring it back to the day I bought it. (that would be really nice) But that is only if the motherboard doesn't have to be replaced. I don't think I have that problem. I just think there is a bunch of corruption with Windows. 6 years worth of use downloading by our son probably took it to the limit. And I no longer have much faith with Norton Anti-Virus. I was on tech support with them when I got stuck in safe mode and could not get out. I lost my connection and then it was downhill from there. Hence the standard recovery. Thanks again.