MS EXCEL Budget

Old 11-25-08, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
MS EXCEL Budget

I have this Excel spreadsheet where I keep an eye on my budget.

Column A is the description of the transaction, Column B is the expenses amount I pay and itís always a negative value, Column C is the income amounts going into the account and Column D is the balance.

Column D has this formula to update the balance: =IF(C377=0,D376+B377,D376+C377)

I would like to keep a track on individual expenses like Car expenses, Food, Entertainment etc., but I donít want to add columns for each category since this will make the spreadsheet too large to fit on a Laptop screen.

I wonder if there is a way to add a formula in column B which will recognize a word from column A like FOOD. In this case, if column A contains lets say the key word FOOD, the formula will leave the amount in column B but will also copy it to another cell (same or different spreadsheet) where I will have a table with columns for each category.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-08, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do not know if you can do what you want with a formula or not, but what I do is to just sort the column.

Highlight column A, B, C and D and hit the sort AZ button. As long as you title the transactions the same they will be grouped together after the sort.

You will first have to copy the columns and use "paste special" to paste the "values" into a new worksheet or area.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by Praxius; 11-25-08 at 04:27 PM. Reason: not enough info
Old 11-25-08, 05:26 PM
That is one way of achieving what I want but I'm hopping for a more automated method.

Perhaps someone knows what I want, lets wait...

Thanks for your time

Old 11-25-08, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kolias View Post
I have this Excel spreadsheet where I keep an eye on my budget.

Column A is the description of the transaction, Column B is the expenses amount I pay and it’s always a negative value, Column C is the income amounts going into the account and Column D is the balance.

Column D has this formula to update the balance: =IF(C377=0,D376+B377,D376+C377)

I would like to keep a track on individual expenses like Car expenses, Food, Entertainment etc., but I don’t want to add columns for each category since this will make the spreadsheet too large to fit on a Laptop screen.

I wonder if there is a way to add a formula in column B which will recognize a word from column A like FOOD. In this case, if column A contains lets say the key word FOOD, the formula will leave the amount in column B but will also copy it to another cell (same or different spreadsheet) where I will have a table with columns for each category.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
I believe this is what you want. You can download the excel file by clicking on the link. It basically does a bank balance as well as a running total of the items like food in another column. This is achieved by using the sumif function.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1...db6fb9a8902bda

Old 11-26-08, 05:35 PM
I was not aware of the SUMIF function. I was trying to do something similar with the VLOOKUP, LOOKUP or OFFSET Functions.

It seems that your suggestion is working and is very simple.

Thank you for taking the time to reply