Virus Question

Old 11-30-08, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Virus Question

I had a suspicious window open and start downloading today.

The download said "Windows anti virus 2009",and was essential to remove any spy ware. It proceeded to scan my computer,claimed it detected spy ware,then started to download a anti virus program.
I quickly aborted my computer. This "thing" had Windows logo,and gave the appearance of being legit.

Any one have any info on this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-08, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 54 Posts
You did the right thing. That WAS a virus/scam. A couple other people asked about this a few months back, if you do a search.

Old 11-30-08, 03:46 PM
Thanks for your reply. Better to ask than to be sorry you didn't later

Old 12-01-08, 04:14 AM
It's a good thing you didn't allow the download & install to continue. However, it's a good bet that the malware is still on your machine. If it is, it will popup annoying messages and redirect legit websites to their website.

Spybot S&D will find & remove it, or search for "Windows anti-virus 2009 removal" to manually remove it.

Old 12-01-08, 06:18 AM
Thanks. Great point. I'll check out re-moval programs to be safe.

Old 12-01-08, 07:09 AM
In addition, after you scan your files with Spybot--> Inoculate the files--> in this way, Spybot will alert you of any suspicious activity / program in your computer

Old 12-01-08, 10:41 AM
I have ccleaner,ad aware,and McAfee on my computer. I don't know if i actually have been infected,as i have been running cleanups,and scans.
Spybot conflicts with McAfee so i can't run it.

I went to Microsoft windows help site ,and this is a nasty bug if you get it. Fixes run from elaborate scans,doing a clean install,etc,to having a professional virus company/individual remove it.

I'll keep a watchful eye out for this thing.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Old 12-01-08, 10:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by daswede View Post
I have ccleaner,ad aware,and McAfee on my computer. I don't know if i actually have been infected,as i have been running cleanups,and scans.
I second Spybot, it is an excellent product and I really like their pricing/payment policy -- good folks. AdAware is also a pretty good product and is free. If I had a choice between McAffe and Spybot I'd dump McAffe in a heartbeat. Fact is I did. McAffe slowed my computers down intolerably. Unnecessary and expensive.

Old 12-01-08, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by daswede View Post

I went to Microsoft windows help site ,and this is a nasty bug if you get it. Fixes run from elaborate scans,doing a clean install,etc,to having a professional virus company/individual remove it.

I'll keep a watchful eye out for this thing.

Thanks to all who have responded.
I too got rid of McAfee due to the fact that it slows down the computer. Norton is just as bad in my opinion.

A great antivirus program which is free that I use is called AVGfree. You can obtain it at: AVG Free - Download antivirus and antispyware software for Windows XP and Vista

I am sure there are others, but I haven't had any problems with AVG.

Old 12-01-08, 11:31 AM
I think that it is important to clarify that, regarding computers' invasions, there are different types of malwares --> virus, trojans, worms, etc.

So usually, just one product is not enough to protect the computer
For example, (these are just my personal experiences)
Norton is efficient detecting and removing viruses, however, even the 360 version is mild regarding trojans
Mc Afee is, IMO, useless in every way (but is excellent creating interferences in the computer)
Spybot is an excellent tool to detect spyware, adware, dialers, etc bit it doesn't detect or remove viruses
Lavasoft is a good tool to detect and destroy spyware, trojans, etc. It doesn't detect / remove viruses