Outlook Express 6.0 Maintenance

Old 12-01-08, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlook Express 6.0 Maintenance

I am looking for advise on how to manage my OE6 subfolders.

The largest folders are DELETED and SENT. Before I delete the contents of my SENT folder, and before I click on "empty 'deleted items' folder", I created a copy of both folders on my hard drive. I did this by locating the path of my folders within Documents and Settings (I verifed this also by identifying the folders having an extension of .dbx) and then saving them off to another drive.

After copying these 2 folders, I went ahead and clicked on "empty 'deleted items' folder". This part worked fine. My question is, however, how can I retrieve these folders and the contents of them, if needed for future reference?

I tried to move them back (with a different name as to not overlay the original names) to the correct path, but after going back into OE6, those new folders are not displayed. Additionally, I even tried to create an empty fictitious folder with a .dbx extension, but still didn't show up in my subfolder list.

Am I doing something wrong or is this not the way to go about it? If I need to go back and view previously moved email messages, what is another way of doing that?

Thanks.....Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-08, 10:57 AM
Since you renamed your backup mail with different names as to what is currently in your OE6, this is what you have to do:
Go in to OE6 and create the folders with the same name that you have as your backup. Close OE6. Copy from your backup to your OE6 folder. Path where your email resides would be something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{1D055929-9627-4C20-8378-FD61561A6211}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

There you will find the .DBX folders. When you copy the folders over, you will be asked to replace the current one. Just say yes. Open OE6 and in there should be all your mail when you click on a folder like Misc.

Old 12-01-08, 12:16 PM
rbwest.......

Everything worked great. Thanks for the help. I can start cleaning up my folders now.

Mike