windows XP servive pack 3 help!

Old 12-01-08, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
windows XP servive pack 3 help!

It's been like close to two months that the automatic updates downloaded the xp sp3 and since then every time I try to install it I receive the error message "ACCESS DENIED", I have turned off the anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall and try to install it and the same error comes back. Any advice will be apreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-08, 10:29 PM
I tend to keep my important data on an external backup drive so that when the unsolvable problem comes, I format and start new. It makes for a lot more secure computer (granted you reinstall your virus protection, etc.) with a lot less crap on it. Befor formatting, make sure to save the registry folder...... just as a backup. Also, if you do choose to reformat, once you have everything fresh and all of your previous programs up and working, create an image. This will make for a much quicker starting point next time. Symmantic ghost is pretty good software for creating an image.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for though. Do you have the original XP install disk? If so, I would try the "repair" feature that it offers. Otherwise, see above. Back up the important data on an external (I got a 320GB for 79.00 at Walmart 3 Mo. ago), wipe the computer and start fresh.

Old 12-02-08, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by Crappytuna View Post
Befor formatting, make sure to save the registry folder...... just as a backup.
Problem is, after the format and reinstall the old registry won't be valid anymore. It will contain references and pointers to programs that don't exist.

Couple that with the fact that a corrupt or bloated registry is the main reason why a computer gets messed up in the first place and it's best to start fresh -- after backing up your stuff (pictures, favorites, address list, documents, etc).

ccmarnaj, are you using a legit copy of WinXP?

Old 12-02-08, 11:30 AM
create a text file and save this in to it

regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\wuapi.dll" /s
regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll" /s
regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\wuaueng1.dll" /s
regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\wucltui.dll" /s
regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\wups.dll" /s
regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll" /s
regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\wuweb.dll" /s

save it and change your TXT extension to BAT. run the file. fixes it everytime. I can also email you the file if you want to PM me your email address.

Old 12-03-08, 06:29 PM
The xp came in the computer when I bought it. I'm really knew on this, so I'm not an expert in computers, It will be great if you explain to me what I have to do. Thanks.

Old 12-27-08, 06:24 AM
Exclamation Try this

1. After xp boots, ignore all the user icons. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del keys.
2. At the login prompt, enter "Administrator" and give the admin password (if don't know the admin password... uh man, that's a good show stopper! search your house for the Windows OEM or restore CD that came with the PC...)
3. After successful admin login, try installing the sp3 again.

Post back the status here, if you still can't install; there are several ways to fix an xp mess, this is just one - we can try plan-b next.

Old 12-27-08, 09:25 AM
ForeverKnight, that log in function is only on XP Professional. It is likely he has XP Home....which has no administrator login.

Old 12-28-08, 03:22 AM
Question are you there?

Is it an 'Home' edition ccmarnaj as eddiethekub suggests? If so, select control-panel->user-accounts->your-account and see if your account type is 'computer-administrator' (the other default type would be 'guest').