laptop keyboard help

Old 12-09-08, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laptop keyboard help

I have a HP pavillion ZE55 series and I was told that I need a new keyboard, how hard would it be to change one?, I am fairly well competent in automotive electronics, any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-08, 02:46 PM
replacing the keyboard is easy enough. It's usually held in place by only a few screws, and a small ribbon cable attaches it to the motherboard.

The difficult part is figuring out how to get to the screws holding the keyboard down. They are usually covered by a plastic bezel. Sometimes this cover can be easily removed by prying up on it (like the new Dells). Other times, there are screws on the back or under the computer holding it down. Other times, they are in the battery or memory compartments... ugh.

You can try to find a dis-assembly procedure for your particular model using Google. I found the service manual here:

HP Pavillion/Compaq Service Manual

It contains detailed information on how to take apart your laptop. Be certain to use static protection, and the right size screwdrivers. You'll also want some (just a drop) blue loctite when putting things back together. Don't use red loctite or you'll never get the screws out again. Be careful... sensitive electronic hardware...

Look at pages starting at 2-13 for how to remove the cover. Good luck.

Last edited by JoeTheZombie; 12-09-08 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-09-08, 06:15 PM
thank you i'll give it a try and give an update later

Old 12-13-08, 04:08 PM
the update is....bought another laptop the one with the keyboard problem is 6 years old,may keep it as a spare.

Old 12-13-08, 04:26 PM
As a short term solution, assuming the laptop has a USB port, is an external keyboard. Doesn't really fix the problem, but it does let you use the computer.

Hope this helps.