Software for JVC *.MOD files

Old 12-09-08, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Software for JVC *.MOD files

I recently purchased a JVC Everio MG330 camcorder. Love the camera, but hate the software that came with it.

What I want to do... is set up my video files on my computer in a similar manner as I have my still pictures. On the still pictures I use MicroSoft Digital Library to batch rename the newly downloaded files with the name format:

2008-10-19#171.JPG
2008-10-19#172.JPG
etc.

and then use the same software to page through the thumbnails to select the pictures I want to view or print.

I pretty much want to do the exact same thing with the video clips that I down load from the Everio. I don't plan on doing any editing, etc.... just need an easy way to save/rename the files with unique "dated" names and have a method to select from the thumbnails for viewing or burning to disk.

Does anyone have a software package they can recommend to let me do this?

Also, the JVC saves the files in *.MOD file format. I have heard that this in not compatible with other more standard video file formats... is this something I should worry about, i.e. will it cause me problems in the future if the MOD format is phased out(beta vs VHS)? Should I go to the effort to convert the files now? Should I take the camera back?

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-08, 08:54 PM
I have the same camera. MOD files are simply MPEG2 files. (the same as on DVDs) You can rename them to the .MPG extension. Fear not... the format will be around for a long, long, long time.

You *need* the following software:

SDcopy V1.9991

It will copy the files off the camera, batch rename them with the filedates, and (if desired) rename them to .mpg and set the 16:9 flag on the files so if you do edit them they will have the proper aspect ratio (if you shoot in widescreen... the camera doesn't set the flag properly, so your 16:9 video will display 4:3 stretched).

Run the program, and click on the ? button on the lower right to read usage and additional notes (such as setting the format of the date and time).

Ask if you have any questions. This application is a godsend for this camera.

Old 12-14-08, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the lead on the utility program... you're right it is a godsend. I finally got around to using it this weekend.

One question about aspect ratio.... If I play a MOD file directly off the camera through the AV cable on my widescreen... the video fills the screen.

If I use your utility to copy the file (with the 16:9 checked) or just copy the MOD file and rename it manually... both ways change the aspect ratio to what is probably 4:3....

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Old 12-14-08, 09:32 PM
Hmm. Not sure exactly. How do you know it's in 4:3? What are you using to watch playback? Are you sure you are recording in 16:9?

Old 12-15-08, 06:18 AM
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have said 4:3... cause I really don't know what I am talking about.

I am playing back on a new 52" wide screen (Samsung LN52A850). I have the Everio set up to record in 16:9.

When I play back a clip with the camera hooked directly to the TV's RCA jacks the video fills the entire TV screen.

When I playback off the computer (either using the MOD file copied directly to the computer from the EVerio or renamed using the utility you suggested) the picture on the TV is "squashed"... leaving a dark strip on the right and left of the screen.

Old 12-15-08, 07:50 AM
The media player is supposed to see the 16:9 flag and squash the picture to fit the whole screen. It appears your media player isn't doing this, or doing it wrong. This is why you are seeing the original anamorphic (stretched) video.

To make sure, try this:

Download gspot. Copy a file over without any conversions. Look at it in gspot. On the Video side (right), in the "d" section. "pic (w x" should be 720x480 and "dar" should be 1.333 (4:3).

Now, copy a file over with conversions. Look at it again in gspot. pic should still be 720x480, but dar should now read 1.778 (16:9).

If the above is right, then we need to look at your media player. It must have a setting or option somewhere that isn't correct.

Last edited by JoeTheZombie; 12-15-08 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-15-08, 06:09 PM
I ran the gspot.... and the results are exactly as you describe.

I am not sure what you mean by media player...

The TV has a USB memory stick input feature. I copied the files (converted and unconverted) to the USB memory stick and upon playing the clip, I get the squashed screen. The TV also has a Ethernet hook up to a computer.... tried this also got the same squashed result.

The TV has a setting where you can pick 16:9 or 4:3.... both settings yield a squashed picture with the USB file... With the camera hooked to the RCA jacks, only the 4:3 setting yields a squashed picture.

Either squashed or not the picture quality is still pretty good... so I don't want to put you through too much trouble..... I am more curious than anything.

My goal here is just to set up the TV so my family can access our home movies off the home computer hard drive (which I have pretty much already done).... to be honest, they probably won't even notice whether its squashed or not.... that is, unless the squashed ratio makes my wife's bottom look bigger

Thanks,

Steve

Old 12-16-08, 09:27 AM
Well, if the files are being changed accordingly, then your screen isn't interpreting the files correctly. If your Samsung is anything like my Sony, you should have several different widescreen modes to choose from... try exploring different zooming and fitting options other than just 4:3 and 16:9 and see if you can get one that works.

At this point, I'd say it's more of a TV issue than the files themselves.

Old 12-16-08, 11:19 AM
You, could be right... I have only scratched the surface figuring out this TV.

Thanks for the Help.

Steve