Tower fan(s)

Old 12-10-08, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tower fan(s)

I have been noticing that the fan(s)?? in my computer change pitch in sound sometimes when i'm surfing with 1-2 windows open.
Sometimes the hum will last for some time.
Also, if i close one of the windows i have open,the hum gets less,or goes away entirely.

I'm not having any other issues. I just did a dusting and cleaning to. Is this something normal in operation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-08, 10:55 PM
Most likely, you are hearing the CPU and/or GPU fans increase as more load is placed on the system. It's normal operation. The fans on the tower itself are usually non-adjusting and of low RPM.

You can download a free utility such as SpeedFan that will show you the RPM of your fans in realtime, and even allow you to manually adjust their speed.

If the sound is obnoxiously loud, you can buy a larger heatsink with a silent fan to place on your processor and quiet down that beast.

Old 12-11-08, 05:34 AM
When you dusted did you pull the CPU fan and clean between the tines of the heat sink? They get clogged up and the fan has to work harder to move air.

Old 12-11-08, 06:08 AM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Joe, i tend to agree that the increased rpm's are due to the cpu load. Its not objectionably loud,but i thought I'd ask anyhow.

Rick, i used a small 1" soft brush to carefully remove and dust ",any "kitties". Also a "can of air" duster.