cannot delete shared file

Old 12-17-08, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
cannot delete shared file

On my home network I am having trouble trying to delete shared files/folders at one pc which are on the other pc. I get the following error:

Error deleting file or folder. Cannot delete [filename]: Access is denied. Make sure that the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I can open the shared files/folders okay from pc to pc but cannot delete them from pc to pc. I know it most likely has to do with permissions settings, but from what I see these shared files have file sharing permissions set at "full control" for everyone, which should allow deleting it seems.

I'm obviously overlooking something that needs to be done to allow the deleting, but am really stuck trying to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-08, 02:04 PM
Okay I discovered the problem. I was trying to set permissions through the sharing tab instead of the security tab in the Properties of the file. Now I can delete the shared files between the two pc's.
But I noticed that when I do the deletion of a file that exists on one pc from another pc, that I am not asked/told that it will go to the recycle bin but instead it just deletes it permanently without going first going into the recycle bin of either pc. Why is that?

Old 12-17-08, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ahh, Security...

Hi Sgull,

The generic answer is:
The "Recycle Bin" is available to the user logged on to the physical machine and is an operation of the operating system.

It is basically a safeguard against "OH, I didn't mean to delete that from MY computer!"

As a network user (Mapped drive or otherwise) you may delete files/folders if you have permission to do so. (There are no "Safeguards" in this case.)

The caveat here is that while the user who logs into the physical machine might delete something and it goes to the "Recycle Bin", a "Network User" could delete something which will NOT show up in the recycle bin.

Why?
The host machine (machine with the files you delete) does not know it was deleted (in terms of recycling), so it cannot put it in the recycle bin.

Networked machines with proper permissions will NOT take advantage of the recycle bin on host machines.

Your best bet is it MIGHT (doubtfully) be in the recycle bin of the "Networked" machine that deleted it.
If you still have the network connection, you may be able to restore the file (If you're lucky).

Hope it helped.

Aces.

Old 12-17-08, 10:27 PM
Thanks Aces for the explanation. I double-checked to see if the deleted file(s) might have gone into the recycle bin of the networked machine that deleted it (with the network connection still intact), but it was not there, as you suggested it probably would not be. Fortunately I didn't need to restore the file(s) anyway. If I want to delete files from one pc via the other "networked" pc in the future, I'll be aware and not expect to be able to restore via recycle bin.

Old 12-17-08, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm glad I was able to help.
I'm sure someone could have said it better than I did, but I'm still happy you at least understood...

Good luck!

Aces.