powerpoint

Old 12-21-08, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
powerpoint

Hello. I am running Windows XP Home and use IE for my browser. I downloaded that IE "patch" the other day and some of my settings went goofy. Anyway the main problem I am now having is that a friend likes to send me pics in Powerpoint. Now when I try to open it tells me something like there isn't a file type associated with it. Yes I do have powerpoint installed. I went back to some older ones he sent me and I can't open them either. I am pretty sure I need to "check a box" somewhere but I don't know where. Can anybody help?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-08, 01:47 PM
download the powerpoint into a file you will remember. I have a folder called "My Downloads" I put everything in there so I can always find my downloads. Anyway. RIGHT click on the file and click on "Open with" you'll get a list of programs. If powerpoint doesn't show up you can browse to powerpoint. That should do it.

Old 12-21-08, 02:58 PM
powerpoint

OK My powerpoint is just in "start---programs". I didn't mention I use outlook express. I used to just click on the attachment and it would automatically open (with pps or whatever). It won't do that now. If I right click on the attachment I dont get the list for "open with". I just get open in which I get a prompt (are you sure you want to open) and when I click open I get "file cannot be opened because there is not a file associated with it" I did however send the attachments to the desktop and right click in which case I got the list. PPS was on the list and they DID open. I also found out that they would open from just normal double left clicking. It must be something in Outook Express that got changed/corrupted. I would like to get it fixed

Old 12-22-08, 03:05 AM
When you open it from the desktop by right clicking, there should be a check box after the "Open With..." dialog that says something like "Always use this program to open these files." That should permanently associate ppt files with Powerpoint.

The latest updates from MS sent my machine back to the dark ages. I've had it. Automatic Updates has been shut off on all my boxes, and I had to resort to changing the registry to shut off those incessant notification popups. Conspiracy theorist that I am, I'm wondering if MS is systematically destroying XP so more people will move to Vista.

My machine is getting a fresh install of XP on Friday and this time Auto Update won't even know the machine is connected to the 'net. (Interesting: One of the machines at work has never been connected to a network. It's a dedicated video editing machine. About two months in, it suddenly started notifying me that updates were ready! When I clicked on the popup, it couldn't tell me what the updates were.)

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 12-22-08 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 12:17 PM
powerpoint

I agree with the auto updates. I am set to notify but don't download until I can choose which ones to install. I did download the "patch" the other day because there was a memo sent out. Anyway I found what you were talking about ("always open with....") It wasn't checked so I checked it. Anyway from the desktop they would always open by just double clicking on them. But when I am in Outlook Express and I click on the paperclip (attachment) and it is a PPS I am still getting that prompt about can't open because there isn't a file associated with it. I need to find that "always open with" checkmark IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS. P.S. by right clicking on the attachment in OE there is no option to "always open with" ..it is just plain old "open" which just cues in the prompt

Old 12-22-08, 01:01 PM
I'm wonderin' if an oldie but goodie has reared its head again from a few years ago? It's a long shot:

Launch Outlook Express. Click Tools, then Options, then Security. Under "Virus Protection," is the box checked next to "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"? If so, uncheck it.

Old 12-22-08, 01:33 PM
powerpoint

Nice try but NOPE. I have actually poked around in that area several times checking and checking things. I am almost positive we are on the right track though.
If it helps I am using Kaspersky and Spyware Terminator. (Also Malwarebytes) I poked around in all of those too.
The prompt I get definitely seems to be a Windows prompt and not any of those
As I said I can open them fine as long as I shoot them somewhere else out of OE. (Desktop, folder, etc) so I am hardly out of commission. It is just not what I am used to doing. Thanks for the help. Please feel free to keep on helping

Old 12-23-08, 07:20 AM
Do you have the full PowerPoint application, or are you using a viewer?

PowerPoint Fix

They have an automated tool to fix the problem.

Old 12-23-08, 03:55 PM
powerpoint

THANKS JOE...THAT DID IT. I believe it is just the viewer. When I started having this problem I redownloaded Powerpoint Viewer 2003. Not sure what version I had before.
I've had SP 1,2 and 3 for ages with no problem. All this started when I installed that supposedly important "patch" the other day. Guy at work has same problem. I forwarded him the link
THANKS AGAINBeer 4U2