Flash drive error message

Old 12-22-08, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Flash drive error message

I'm a little behind on computer technology -- I just bought my first flash drives (thumb drives). Bought four Sony 2GB drives on sale, seemed like a good deal. Today I tried to transfer some .jpg picture files to the flash drive. After transferring about 150 files successfully, the flash drive will not let me transfer any more. I get a message "Cannot copy (filename). The file or directory cannot be created".

Now, when I check the capacity of the flash drive, it says I have only used about 30 MB of space, and there is 1.83 GB of free space left. But I cannot transfer any more files to the flash drive. I tried transferring other types of files, .doc, .xls, etc but I get the same error message.

If I delete all the files from the flash drive and start again, it allows me to transfer files -- up until I hit about 30 MB, and then I get the same error message.

I tried all four of the brand-new flash drives I bought, and they all do the same thing.

1) What does the error message really mean?
2) Does the flash drive -- or my operating system -- think that the flash drive is full? But I've only loaded 30 MB of data on it, and it is supposed to have a capacity of 2 GB !!!

I may go back to using floppy discs, at least they have as much capacity as they claim they do.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 01:42 PM
Those drives are probably formatted as FAT, which has a folder and/or file limit of about 150 in the root directory.

The workaround is to add a few folders to the root and store your stuff in the folders.

Or, if you're not planning to use the drives with Win98 or 95, format the drives (a quick format is fine) as FAT32 or NTFS.

Old 12-22-08, 02:32 PM
Smile FAT city

Rick,

You're exactly right ... my ancient computer uses Windows 98, so I have to stick with FAT format. I created sub-directories as you suggested and it fixed the problem. So now I guess I'm in FAT city!

(I assume there is/was a logical reason for a) limiting the root directory to 150 files and b) having three different file formats in the world ... or was it jsut to torment casual users like me?)

Thanks for your help, problem solved.

Mikaman

Old 12-23-08, 03:50 AM
The file structures were developed to accommodate larger hard drives and add security features ... and to "drive" us all nuts!